weight gain 10 year old girl

My daughter has gained almost 30 pounds in one year most of that in the past 4 months. I keep telling the doctor and they keep reassuring me she is fine. She only has grown 2 inches. This amount of weight gain does not seem normal to me. She is 10 years old 4'10" and weighs 117 pounds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Our daughter is 8 YO, 5 foot tall and weighs 130 lbs. We had her thyroid and glands checked, everything came out fine. The only thing we think may be contributing is alot of growth hormones in the food we eat. We tried to go organic but we have only dh's income, short of sneaking a cow and some chickens into the garage I think we're hosed.
    However, I was about her size at that age, I shot up to 5 ft 8 when I was 13 and my weight stayed the same. So for about one week of my teenage years I was actually "hot" lol!
    If she's eating decent and getting some exercise (our daughter lives on her bike), just chalk it up to a growth spurt.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i was thinking a growth spurt too. she may have a height spurt coming to even things out!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree with you and would look for a second opinion. That does seem a bit on the extreme side. My 13 yr old is about that much and is 5'5" (boy)

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Okay overlooking the numbers for a moment, is it unhealthy weight gain? Is it fat gain or muscle gain? Is she outgrowing her clothes? Have her activity levels changed? At her age it could be hormonally driven. Is she having mood swings? There is a lot more than just a number to worry about.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My 10 year old is the same height, and the doctor said that 110 lbs was okay. There is not much difference there. My older daughter gained 25 lbs in a just a couple of months, and ended up growing a few inches shortly thereafter. There are a lot of things that can affect weight gain in girls that age.
    missmarla1

Answer by missmarla1 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2010