Pagans....agree or disagree? (quote)

"Christianity has made of death a terror which was unknown to the gay calmness of the Pagan. "
Ouida

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Disagree. Ancient Pagan beliefs had some horrible 'evil' to them too.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• All you have to do is read up on what was done to those who were considered heretics against paganism in ancient Greece to know that killing over religion isn't confined to nor invented by Christianity or Judaism or Islam.

LovePeaceHope

Answer by LovePeaceHope at 10:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Let me change that just a little ...

"Religion has made of death a terror which was unknown to the gay calmness of humankind. "
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree, I wholeheartedly agree. I don't think this quote has anything to do with which religion had perused religious murder, or has more blood on their collective hands. I feel she is referring the eternal rest after death and to the idea of eternal torment of fire and brimstone rather than the rest of Hades among the shades and shadows. The idea of Christian Hell is much more terrifying than the idea of Hades, even despite the punishments therein but as everyone is hoping for the peace of the Elysian Fields. So Pagan afterlife is essentially more hopeful.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would love to know which novel this quote is from.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree. It doesn't sound to me like it's about murdering because of religion, but about hell in the after life for not conforming to a certain religious doctrine.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Meh, a little of both agree & disagree...

While Christianity did push the "horror" end of death more than most Pagan beliefs did, not all Pagan belief systems believed in a gay and peaceful afterlife... The majority of Greeks & Romans believed their death would send them to more of a "limbo" state than either of the other options. The Elysian Fields were reserved for heros and royalty, not the average man. And Tartarus was mostly for the evil of humanity, again, not the average man. Instead the average man was doomed to roam in nothingness. Which I don't see as some "gay" existence or anything... So, yes and no.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• neither
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Um, yea I don't think this was referencing how christians were 'murderers" vs pagans....it is referring to how christianity views the afterlife vs how pagans viewed it. (or do view it)
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Christianity was the faith to reinvent the afterlife as a burning pit of fire. Hel was never intended to be that. It wasn't until the sudden appearance of "Christian Hell" that it changed to fire and brimstone. And I wouldn't say it was just the ancient religions that were shocked - the OT doesn't have any fiery, burning pit of Hell, that's not part of Judaism. Christianity unleashed that nice bit of creative rewriting on them, too, and apply it to the OT even if it was never meant to be there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010