How can I break my daughter from screaming when anyone else speaks or holds her!!!

I have a 6 month old baby girl, who i adore! Only there is one BIG probably that is really causing alot of stress for my husband and I. She wont let anyone else hole her, or even speak to her. If shes sitting in the floor playing and someone walks in our house, even someone shes been around she screams and reaches for me. My husband and I love to go to church, but as soon as we hand her off in the nursery we don;t even make it down the hall before they are paging us to come back b/c shes screaming. Its really frustrating that we cant ever get a break by handing her off. Will she grow out of this? HELP! Part of me feels like I should just forse someone to hold her until she gets over it! I don't know what to do !!

Ktjo7832

Asked by Ktjo7832 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is a stage that is usually outgrown. Distraction is a possibility. Something that catches her attention when she is handed over to someone else.

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She'll get over it. It's stranger anxiety. Don't force her on someone! that will further the anxiety.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• find someone you trust completely and just do it. hand her over and leave! so she'll cry a bit that's o.k.! i'm sure with half an hour she'll move on or fall asleep. but coming back all the time reenforces it. so good luck
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Don't force it. I know it sucks but she'll outgrow it. I have 2 sisters and a friend of the family who all did this and they're all really happy, confident, social almost-adults.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 9:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son was like that. Yes he outgrew it but it's a security thing. What I ended up doing was going into the nursery at church with him the first time. I got him used to being there and secure in knowing I was there. Gradually I worked my way out the door when he wasn't looking. I did that with family watching him too. He spent a long time in your womb and felt safe there. Now he's in a new world and it can be scary for him.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You don't "break" babies and young children of things that inconvience you. This is normal behavior for a baby. It's not separation anxiety yet. True separation anxiety as defined by developmental psychologists occurs later. This is just normal baby behavior.

Human babies are born premature to be able to fit out. They cling to their mother much like other primate babies and it's hard wired in human babies brains to cry if their mother isn't holding them. Some babies brains are more adaptable, that may actually be a bad sign. Human babies are born to be breastfed and sleep with their mother. That creates a symbiotic relationship and hormones that enhance the attachment.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Humans have lived in groups usually with grandmothers and other women close by to help with the baby. Moms and babies weren't stuck in huts 24/7 with fathers dropping by when they weren't working. Babies got to be around lots of people. Babies should be born at about 9 mo, about the time they crawl. Some babies change a lot at this age. They may be more social.

I always kept my babies with me at church. I usually sat in back and breastfed and they slept through the whole thing. I went to churches that were baby and breastfeeding friendly.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Parents may not get a break by handing off their baby or child. Having a baby changes everything. I had 3 babies and I never had a break and I did just fine. With my youngest I was a single mother and I was with him 24/7 until I went back to grad school when he was 2.5. By my third child I was used to being with my children and didn't feel the need for a break. I had decided not to date.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010