what to tell a 5 year old when they ask if Santa is real?

I don't know where she would get it cause she isn't in school until September 1st then she isn't in daycare or preschool. She only has 1 sibling, but younger. She had 1 friend that was 7, but haven't played with her all summer long although her friends brother is 9. But she came up to me and her daddy and asked if santa was real. I don't want to tell her that he isn't real cause I think she is to young to tell her he isn't and I don't want her to not believe yet. What would you tell your 5 year old if they asked?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had a similar situation and it's not an easy one to deal with. My daughter started to question Santa's existence near the holidays and I wrote a letter (in a disguised handwriting) slipped it under her bedroom door, and told her that many people don't believe in me (Santa) and sometimes children can be mean and say that Santa isn't real -- but it is okay for her to believe. That seemed to address the problem since I think some friends were telling her that it was baby-ish to believe. The next year was more difficult. I sat her down and told her that Santa is more than a person, Santa is a spirit of happiness and joy and that Santa will live on in our hearts forever. And...it's important for us to continue Santa's work by being a good person and helping others.
    EvesMom731

Answer by EvesMom731 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If it was a joking asking, I'd tell her of course he's real. But if she were really serious, it just means she's put a lot of thought into it and is really questioning. You can try to convince her he's real, but it may not work.
    My girl is also 5. She still thinks Santa and the tooth fairy are real, but just told us that the Easter bunny wasn't. Just said "mom, there is NOT a big bunny that goes around bringing baskets. It just makes no sense!".
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Give her the "yes Virginia,there is a Santa Claus" type speech

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I told mine what my father told me, that Santa is real as far as being a feeling, and that the people we saw in malls were Santa's helpers.

Answer by Bmat at 9:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I like the "magic" of Christmas and I think 5 is too young to let it die. Lots of parents think its lying to your kids...but my parents did it to me and I am thankful. I remember being mystified and amazed...it made Christmas...Christmas!!! It didnt traumatically scar me or anything.

I would say that if you dont believe in him he doesnt exist, but as long as you believe, truly believe, he will exist and will show up on Christmas Eve.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I tell mine that Santa is real-- he is the spirit of giving and that the santas seen in public are his 'helpers' to help spread joy and goodwill during the holidays.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am not going to make my kids believe in santa, not as a real person anyway. I will talk to them about the spirit of santa as mizlee said. I dont want to tell them to believe the easter bunny, the tooth fairy and santa are real and then find out they aren't because then how will I tell them to believe i god or jesus. They wont believe me.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• When my son asked me if Santa was real, my response was, "What do you think?" He thought about it for a while, and decided he thinks Santa is real. I said, ok, and that was the end of it.

I like this approach, because I never once told my kids that Santa, Easter Bunny, etc.. are real. I have just allowed them to believe what they want to believe, and when the time comes that they tell me he is not real, that will be the end of it. They will have reached the conclusion on their own, and gained some important critical thinking skills along the way.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010