Is this child abuse?

If your child smarts off or says bad words, is putting a dab of soap on a child's tongue abuse? I say it isn't but a family member thinks it is?

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• if soap is abusive, then I am super abusive, I use tabasco sauce on my son when he smarts off. I havent had to use it in months, just mentioning it makes his attitude run for cover
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I do not think that putting a bit of soap in a child's mouth is child abuse. Parents have been doing this to children as far as I can remember, lol.. and everyone turned out just fine. That is what is wrong with today's world... Parents are slacking on their jobs, lol. Discipline your children!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• In my opinion it is not to mention it's not an effective way to teach your child what you want him/her to learn. It just shows you are a bully and have no clue how to properly discipline a child. That is punishment NOT discipline. If it's not child abuse in your state then it should be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No. Now if you made him eat the whole bar, that's a bit much! Smarting off or bad words warrant a bit of soap or hot sauce & using either isn't abuse.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't think that would be considered child abuse but other people might. Different things are considered abuse by different people.
    buggaandmommy

Answer by buggaandmommy at 9:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i dont think one dab would hurt a kid. Parents are too soft on kids these days.

in the olden days they would use real lye soap...now that stuff is probably really harsh.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't do that! Stuff in some soaps can hurt your child.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Depends on the soap. ones with triclosan are not suppose to be ingested. A tiny bit of soap can cause diarrhea in kids.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• soap in the mouth sucks. i wouldn't do it. child is picking up that behavior from somewhere. so limit it's socialling otherwise i side with your family member
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Put soap in the mouth of the adult who said the word around your child.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 9:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010