FYI- Pantene Color Preserve Shampoo

This stuff is actually stripping the color out of my hair!! The conditioner seems to be fine and I love how soft it makes my hair, but when I use the shampoo and whole bunch of red comes out in the tub!! I dried my hair and I can see discoloration in my hair where the shampoo is stripping it! Just wanted to give you ladies a warning if you were thinking of using it! I'm so pissed.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Hi, professional stylist here,, the reason it make your hair feel so soft, is because it is LOADED with wax that coats the hair, this builds up over time,, it has a very high PH, thus the reason for the stripping of the color.. I would suggest Redken
    All Soft shampoo, the liters are on sale right now, and it will last twice as long as your Pantene,,, if you must buy over the counter shampoo try Tresseme or Aussie Mega,, both of these have a lower PH,, good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:00 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hmmm good to know!! Just ran out of my old shampoo....gonna try the Redken or possibly the Aussie. I have VERY thick hair and a lot of it so finding a good shampoo is hard to come by.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That's why I HATE Pantene and Dove. They both stripped the color out of my hair. Around here, some stylists actually keep a bottle of one of those around if someone comes in because of a color oops and they use it a few times to strip the color. I use Tresseme (sp?) and Garnier since I've never had a problem with them. The John Frieda red is bad for just putting some red in your hair that gets wiped away on your towels, too.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I really just hate all pantene products. It makes my hair fall right out of my head, and I don't have any to spare!! I tried whatever color product they had a few years back and wasn't satisfied at all.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 9:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Any shampoo that contains Sulfates will strip color. Most commercial shampoos have sulfates even if they state they are for colored hair. Some of the higher end shampoos do not contain them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Wow thanks! I don't dye my hair all that often anymore and I was just kind of low on cash this time around so I decided to try a store bought shampoo. I guess it's worth it to buy in the salon. But thanks alot for the info!
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Also, red is the hardest color, to keep, it fades the fastest, as the color molecules are the smallest, so go in well, but come off fast. Thats why reds' seem to never keep their original color very long :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If I ever have a color oops...I guess I'll just go buy some Pantene!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010