If you were given this news what would you do??

In on of my pregnancy groups a women was told that her baby has Downs syndrome and she had 3 options...
1. Keep the baby and love it like the rest of your children
2. Give the baby up for adoption
3. Terminate the pregnancy

If you were given this new and you knew the road that was ahead of you, what would you do?

syrianmommy

Asked by syrianmommy at 9:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I can say that I would want to keep the child to full term, but I have never actually been in that situation, so I can't really say what I would do. And I honestly believe that most people can say that they would make one choice, but if it comes right down to it & they are in that situation, they may end up choosing another route.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Keep it. Besides, if they were only looking at the quad test or whatever it's called, they could be wrong. I know plenty of folks with Down's. They lead awesome fulfilling lives. Why kill it or give it away if it isn't broken, just different?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• #1. I think that playing god and deciding what kids to keep and what kids to get rid of is sad.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Keep the baby of course! its my child. just because it has a disability it doesn't make it less my flesh and blood and a gift from God. i have a son with autism. i can't imagine life without him. if there had been a test for autism while he was inside me,it would not have changed my mind about him one bit!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was that mom. I chose to keep my baby and raise him just like any other kid. Guess what? The tests were wrong and he did not have Down Syndrome after all. I have worked with lots of kids with Down's and if you have to have a kid with any special need, that would be the one I would choose. They are so loving and each one is different. Most have normal lives. They get jobs, live alone, find friends and relationships. They just look a little different, have some higher health needs and give their parents a ton of joy.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 10:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Keep it. It's a baby, a human, not a dog that needs put down because it's sick.
    And those tests have been wrong coutless times. Doctors have been wrong. I had a friend that was pregnant and her doctor kept telling her the baby wouldn't make it, that she should terminate, that it was too small. That child was born three days before the due date at 8 pounds. Mistakes are made.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Not even ann option. Keep the baby of course.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• keep the baby and raise it and love it along with the rest of my children
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Keep the baby. It is still my child. However, I don't put much stock in those pre-natal tests. They have high false positives. I know a lady who was told beyond a doubt that her daughter would have Down's syndrome and came out perfectly normal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was told that my baby had Trisomy 18, which unfortunately is fatal. Downs is also called Trisomy 21..... Soo... What did we do??? We kept the baby, we let it up to God. We did not terminate HER, she peacefully died in my womb. I gave birth to her and buried her, I am always against abortion no matter what the case is.... It was hard but at least with downs you HAVE a child to watch grow up. How selfish to give it up just b/c of that? JMO.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010