Is it normal to not feel contractions until your water breaks or is that supose to be like that?

with both my kids 2 and 5 I had contractions in the hospital (I was induced with cervidel first time and patocin second time). I didn't feel the contractions either time with them the nurse would ask if I felt them, but I didn't. But as soon as m water broke with them then I started feeling the contractions. Is that normal? Why don't I feel the contractions before then? Does that mean if I have another baby that I wont feel those ones until my water breaks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not necessarily. I have two kids, also, and with my first birth, I had crazy painful contractions that hurt so bad I wasn't waiting to time them. I knew it had to be birthing time! My water broke probably an hour later at the hospital, and the contractions were equally as bad. For my second child, my water broke and then the horrible contractions started. So, you could feel them before your water breaks!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't know. With my first two, my water broke and nothing happened and I had to be given pitocin. With my third, I was having contractions and they broke my water for me.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Most times you won't go into hard labor until your water breaks. Since both were chemically induced, maybe you didn't feel them until then because your body wasn't conforming to the meds.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I had contractions for several hours, then, the doc broke my water and gave me pitocin. So, I had the opposite.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• for my first son i didn't have contractions until the water broke.
    all the others, i had the contractions first.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If you don't do drugs this time your water may never break on it's own. Babies can be born with their bag of water intact. Everything is different with a non-intervention birth. Of course you will feel the contractions even if your water doesn't break. My first birth with no drugs I was pushing and the bag of waters was hanging out and the midwife broke it. My second birth with no drugs I was squatting for pushing and my bag of waters broke and out he came riding the wave. My third birth I was induced for medical reasons (my life was in danger). The bag of waters broke after I had been having contractions for about 6 hours. I didn't have an epidural. I thought I would have to have one because I was very ill and out of shape but I never felt the need. I had an easy induced labor and birth with no pain meds.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I didn't feel contractions until after my water broke. They were bearable until the nurse wanted to speed things up and gave me pitocin. That crap sucks!!! lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I could feel my contractions before my water broke, but they weren't too painful just felt like period cramps. But as soon as they broke my water I sure as hell could feel them haha. I was also induced.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• "Most times you won't go into hard labor until your water breaks. "
    that's not true. most labors begin before the water breaks.

i don't think it necessarily means that you won't feel ctx until your water breaks in the future.

with my first birth i didn't start feeling ctx until after my water broke, although i had been feeling crampy all night long.
    with my 2nd, my water broke about half an hour before the end, and i had been feeling ctx quite a while before that.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was having contractions for 3 days before my doctor broke my water. I was about 6cm and still didn't really feel them until then. It was funny because I could kind of feel the tightening sometimes, but no pain and my mom was practically begging me to get drugs for pain lol. I was just like, what pain? I've never heard of anyone who was induced not feeling their contractions, but every one is different I guess.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010