I start as a store manager for a pizza place, Got any management tips?

LoriCouch23

Asked by LoriCouch23 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Don't try to be their friend. If you say something, stick to it. Be consistent. Don't play favorites. It's actually a lot like parenting. :-)
    Congrats on the new job!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My only advice for you is to not make "friends" with your employees. You will get walked all over! Esspecially in a place like this one because they tend to be pretty laid back and lack the professionalism. I was a manager for a Sonic Drive in for a couple years and then for a Hampton Inn hotel. It is great to earn the respect of the people who work under you, but if you get too involved they think they can get away with most anything.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar but a fat lazy fly that eats tons of honey doesn't work very hard. (Yeah, go ahead and quote me on that one) There's a great balance if you get along well with the people but don't let them push you over.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 10:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Congrats on your new job! I just got a job as a Director for a daycare and these ladies gave me some great advice. Good Luck to you!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Make sure the bathrooms are ALWAYS clean. I judge a restaruant and the management by how clean the bathrooms are.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Also, walk out to the front, from the customer's point of view and check the back. Pretend to be a customer and look around. That's the best way to figure out where the messes are, what needs to be adjusted people wise and how everything looks to them.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Stay as professional as possible. Treat everyone fairly even if you become friends with some. That is the hardest thing, I think, because friendships will deveop but then those friends think they are entitled to preferential treatment.

Make sure customers get excellent service and keep that in the forefront of the employees' minds. That is what they are there for. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Respect your employees. Don't get buddy buddy with them, but don't treat them like crap either. If you're too nice, they'll take advantage of it (trust me, I know from experience), and if you're too demanding, they'll just refuse to work.

Oh, and don't ever use the phrase "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean". That falls under "treating the employees like crap".
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Rule number one: praise in public, criticize in private.

Get yourself a copy of the book: The One Minute Manager

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010