How would I go about asking this in a professional way?

I was just hired to be a director for a daycare. My son goes to this daycare for summer camp. I have worked at a few daycares and all of them give the employees a discount if their child attends there too. When I was hired this topic did not come up at all. Should I ask my boss (the owner) if I will get a discount or if I need to pay the full amount still? I don't mind paying the full amount, but I could really use that money towards work clothes but I don't want to seem like I am being rude or anything. How would I go about doing this?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do you have an employee handbook or list of company policies? I would check there and see if you can find something in writing on the issue before asking. You need to know for yourself, but also for work if you are in charge of doing any sort of hiring. You should understand all the company's benefits programs for employees.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i would just ask if the rates are the same for employees. After they answer just say everyone does it differently you just wondered what their policy was. It is a valid question so ithink you should just come right out and ask the boss.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You could ask other employees if they know.
    Or you can just ask the boss directly. Just say you were wondering if there are any discounts. Just have the full amount ready to pay so it shows that you didn't mind the full amount, that you were just wondering.
    And congrats on the new job!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would say something like "I am planning for my son's care. Am I correct in assuming it will be _____per week?" (fill blank with the full price) OR maybe "Are any discounts allowed to employees of ________" (Name the daycare) Sometimes using the company's name makes it less personal and easier to discuss. Congratulations on your new position!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Good point, Danielle. I didn't think of it like that. I will ask today to look at the employee handbook.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Simply ask: What is the policy for children of employees?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2010