Is it true the closer to ovulation when you conceive the more of a chance to have a boy?

I want a girl, but had intercourse the first day of ovulation....Im freaking out! LOL I already have two boys and my husband is done after this baby....I just want my girl.

MommaOf2Boys10

Asked by MommaOf2Boys10 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't see how that could have anything to do with it since the baby's gender is determined by the sperm, not the egg.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No, it is determined by the sperm. Sorry....
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i've heard all that stuff but don't know how true it is... we had sex the day before and the day after ovulation and we're having a girl... Hope you get your girl :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No, it's true that the closer to ovulation, the better chances you have of getting pregnant. But, like PP, sex is determined by the sperm so if you don't get what you want, you can blame DH
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I have read alllll over the internet bc Im so desperate! And everything I have read basically says the female sperm lives longer but swims slower than male sperm ...and to have intercourse a few days before ovulation and then no more for a week bc the female sperm will live for up to 5 days so by time ovulation comes the female sperm is alive and the male sperm isnt....And since male sperm swims faster that is why they say during ovulation being so fertile it will more than likely be a boy......Im just trying to figure out if I have a good chance at having a girl....
    MommaOf2Boys10

Comment by MommaOf2Boys10 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The theory behind this logic is the behavioral difference between male and female sperm. Female sperm swim slower, but live longer which is why having sex a few days before ovulation increases your chances of a girl. Male sperm swim faster, but have a shorter life span, which increases your chances during ovulation. While this have a slight affect on the frequency of sexes conceived before and during ovulation, it is not a hard and fast way of guaranteeing one gender over the other. You cloud still very well have a girl.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thanks Danielle! I was about to say pretty much the same. But, it also depends on YOUR body chemistry, your basal temp, PH, etc. So, no, it does not. It is still a 50/50 no matter what.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thanks girls! I guess I will just hope and pray that if I am pregnant it is a girl !!! :)
    MommaOf2Boys10

Comment by MommaOf2Boys10 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Good luck. Hope your baby is healthy, and I'm sure you'll be happy either way :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thanks vicesix...
    MommaOf2Boys10

Comment by MommaOf2Boys10 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010