Do You Shave Your Boy's Head For The Summer?

I've always shaved my boy's head for the summer, starting when he was just a tot. June 1st, I put a 1/8 inch blade on the clipper and run it over his entire head, peeling off every last bit of hair, leaving just the tiniest bit of stubble. I maintain it that length with weekly buzzes. It's absolutely maintenance free! Just a quick wipe with a washcloth is all it requires!

peggy572

Asked by peggy572 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We buzz our sons head....year round. He's got such a precious face that really stands when his head is shaved. We don't do it quite as short as your son's though. I don't know which blade my husband uses, he does the buzzing. My husband has a flat top, and Nathan wants to look as much like his daddy as possible. He says they both have "pokey hair" and he doesn't look the least bit 'thuggish'.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Nope, never. From birth I always combed it and fixed it. As a toddler, he had the cute boy cut where the front flips up. I would comb and gel it for him. He would look retarded if I shaved him. His hair grows straight out from his head and he would have looked like a baby chicken. So, no way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would buzz my boys hair short but not that short. I wanted some protection for their blond heads. Since I had 3 very cute sons it was their signature look.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• yes after 2years old for the summer i would shave his hair to a really close cut so his head can breath. an trust me it will grow back for the fall when school starts. an keep it trim low an neat. cause he is a boy not a girl an dont need long hair when he goes to school, cause you dont want him mistaken for a girl. ok
    queeny2

Answer by queeny2 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No....that's what we did for our DOG. LOL.
    I see no reason to shave a kid's head just because it is summer. I don't think he would get any fleas or ticks. Hehe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I've just cut my 23 month old son's hair for the first time...but just his bangs. He has a head full of golden-brown curls that are just too damn cute to cut off. But his daycare says that he has problems with his hair...playing, eating, etc. and it being in his face. (I don't have this problem...i just always tucked his hair behind his ears.) They always ask me to pull his hair back, but it's a chore & he doesn't take pleasure in getting his hair pulled up at all. So I took a pair of scissors to his bangs & around his face. His hair is still long, but there's no longer any hair to get into his face. I miss how cute his hair was when it was shorter when he was younger, but I just can't fathom cutting it off.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I didnt' cut my ds' either till he was almost 2. He had the curls, and I had always said I would NEVER let my boys hair get long because of curls, lol And since I've been doing hair for 15 years, I knew what I was doing. BUT then the "whats HER name" comments started, so I decided it was time.
    Back to the question :) I did shave it to a #3 this summer because he had snipped a chunk of his bang area a month earlier, and when I went to trim it it was very noticable when it was shorter. So off it went. That was in june, and its' all grown back, tho' I keep it pretty short anyhow. He wants a mowhawk, thats' not happening so sometimes I will spike it in the middle for him for the day, even if it dosn't spike very high, lol. But mostly just short.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No, my son's hair is sort of a bowl cut, but not super defined. I think it's a classic, cute look. He has blonde hair that I know will eventually get darker, so I like to see that pretty blonde!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Not a chance. I think kids look thuggish when you buzz their hair. My son gets #2 on the sides and finger length on top, neat and smart.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I usually buzz my older son's hair off at the start of the summer but I usually do it to 3/4".  1/2" at the shortest otherwise he looks goofy.  But then we just let it grow out after that.  He rarely gets it cut during the school year so by the time summer starts it's down to his shoulders.  He's almost 9 and I like the long hair on him but he sweats so much in the summer and gets too hot with the long hair so off it goes.  I've been doing it since he was 2 1/2.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010