Why would you let your 8 year old smoke?

When I was younger my grandma neighbor's grandson was smoking with his parents and they laughed about it when he started choking. I was 10 and seeing it made me upset, he came over later to play with us and we asked him why he was smoking and he said because he threw away his mom cigz cause he didn't like the smell of it. He was taken away from his mother, his father and the mother were sent to prison for something I don't remember I just know there was a lot of police in there home.. Why would you punish your child this way?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 10:16 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• How awful! Some people are sick!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• They didn't "let" their child smoke, they incorrectly thought it was an appropriate punishment.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well wtf!! Thats messed up!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That is HORRIBLE. There is only one explanation....

His parents are...
    asshat Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Goes to show not everyone is fit to be a parent.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree with justnancy.
    It was horrible punishment.

I wouldn't "let" my kid smoke until she was old enough to go and buy them for herself. And even then I would discourage it. It's a bad habit to have and a hard one to break.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well that is just sick. They sound like extremely ignorant and abusive people. THAT is NOT "punishment"...it is child abuse.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• some people are just messed up because that's how they were raised and they don't know any differently :( so sad
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The fact that he was taken away from them and they ended up in prison just shows they had horrible judgement to begin with. Some people shouldn't be parents! :(
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Wow...that's ridiculous. I had a friend that got caught smoking by her dad. She was 17. As a punishment, he made her sit and smoke an entire pack of cigarettes until they were gone. She said she had no problem doing it & she actually enjoyed it...and she still smokes today. He just gave up & let her smoke. Ugh...idiots. She has a child now & I'm pretty sure she won't mind if he smoked when he got older.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2010