• In the Spotlight:

If you didn't want to find out the gender of the baby, could your husband find out from your doctor without your permission?

I'm not actually pregnant, but, if we do end up having another baby, I would NOT want to find out the gender. I would want a surprise, since we have one of each already. I told my husband that I wouldn't want to know, and he said he'd go behind my back and find out from my doctor anyway...can he even do that? I didn't think he could because of privacy laws, and because until the there's a paternity test, a baby that I'm carrying belongs to ME. He didn't like when I told him that, but since he was playing dirty, I did too. :P
So, anyway...can your DH/SO receive private information from your doctor regarding your baby, even if you've explicitly instructed that the information not be shared? His reasoning is only that it's his kid too. I just don't think that's a good enough reason to release someone else's medical information.
(again, this is purely theoretical question!!!)

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 10:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• He's your husband. Privacy laws don't always apply to a spouse. It's his child too not to mention dad is probably paying the doctor. Just ask your doctor when you get pregnant so you won't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I doubt it. My husband called my doctor about something while I was pregnant because I was too busy hugging the toilet and they wouldn't talk to him. They said they had to talk to me to get permission for them to talk to him then they could share with him.
    It may vary from place to place though.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i think if he wants to know let him find out you still would not know
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 10:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I honestly think they can tell him info. My hubby called for prescribe for me... You can get an ultrasound done and let him see what it is. I would let my husband find out why would he need to wait if he wants to know.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Highly unlikely. I've worked in a doctor's office. HIPPA privacy laws are not broken just because a dad wants to know the gender of a baby. It doesn't matter if it's his baby too. Doctor's offices have way too much to be concerned about and keep private information private until the patient gives consent for its release.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Even though he's your spouse he can't have your medical information without your permission :)
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Although I do agree that it's his child too, and he has a right to know, legally privacy laws even apply to a spouse. Nothing from your medical records should be released to him without your permission.

With that being said, I didn't want to know with my first child, and my mother did, and the nurse told her the ultra sound results.....according to the ultra sound it was a girl. I however, knew I was having a boy, painted the nursery blue, and decorated in Pinnochio. .......I had a boy, and my mom had to go return all of the pink baby things she'd purchased!!! Served her right for going behind my back. And yes, I found out it was illegal for them to tell her, but the nurse knew her and told her anyway!!!!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Why would you deny your husband knowing if he promises not to tell you? What is the point to it? I'm sorry but you're just coming off reeeeally petty on this.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• DHJen - because my dad didn't want to know either of my kids' genders when I was pregnant, and while I didn't tell him, he found out because everyone else let it slip. My mom let it fly the first time, and my husband kept saying "she" the second time. I don't trust that he could keep it a secret, and I'd want it to be an absolute secret. It's not that I don't trust him to try, I just think he'd slip.
    sojourner.

Comment by sojourner. (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You should let him find out. We did it this way because I didn't want to know. As far as your question, I really have no idea what he can be told. Ask the doc. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010