In your experience...or from those you know.

...are second marriages better than first marriages? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it depends on the couple. I know people who have only stayed married to their second spouse because they didn't want to have two failed marriages under their belt. But I also know people who have awesome, loving relationships with their second spouse.

I think it can also make a big difference on whether or not you had any kids in your first marriage.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• it depends if you learned your lessons or not... if you drag all your issues into the next marriage it will most likely be worse. Statistically 50% of first marriages end in divorce, 80% of second marriages end in divorce, 90% of 3rd marriages, etc...

But if you do some counseling, find out what went wrong, what was your part in the problems (putting all the blame on the other person is denial- even though my spouse cheated, I had to realize the parts that I contributed to the issues), do pre-marital counseling with the new guy... the second time around can be much much much better!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was only 19 at the time of my first, and 34 and the time of my second. I have learned much. Marriage is work! The older you get the more you realize the importance of picking your battles wisely etc. I have a man who I can deal with now, he may be an ass every once in awhile, but who isn't? In the end he is willing to go the distance...I got lucky the second time around.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My first marriage at16 lasted 3 yrs & we had2 children. My 2nd marriage lasted 17 yrs & we had 6 children. He was a woman hater & beat me almost every day. Those two marriages ended in divorce. My third marriage was made in heaven & lasted 36 yrs. until he passed away. He was everything a woman could want in a husband. He was kind,considerate,loving.handsome & sexy. He would have given me the world if I had asked. If I had met him first there wouldn't have been any divorces. He loved all of my children as if they were his own & they loved him for it. He taught me so many things. How not to be afraid,how to love,how to share my love,how to grow a garden & how to keep a fire going throughout the winter season,how to fish &. how to ride a snowmobile. He tried to teach me to sail,but that was a complete bust. I miss him more everyday. I have the greatest memories. What more could a woman ask for? Love Ya Bobby!!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010