my son NEVER wants to eat!! HELP!!!!!!!!

I understand that kids don't want to stop having fun to sit down and eat, but he will come up with any excuse in the book to get out of eating. He'll whine and cry and say his tummy hurts, he's not hungry, he doesn't like what i put in front of him.. etc. but a half hour later he'll ask for cookies or crackers. i don't get it! my neighbors little girl sits down and eats without a fight, and i wish it was like that for my son! What should I do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give him cookies or crackers. Just re-offer whatever food he passed up before. And as long as he is gaining weight and growing...then, he is eating enough.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Why does he need to sit down and eat? Don't make meal time a battle ground. Maybe he doesn't like his chair.

Don't keep cookies and crackers or other foods you don't want him to have in the house. Make an area for him in the fridge so he can get healthy food when he wants. I do this with my 22 mo grandson. Let him eat at a coffee table or a kids table standing up.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• our pediatrician says not to give in with cookies or snacks. continue to put a variety of foods in front of him. eventually he will be hungry and realize that what you provided is what he needs to eat. my dd only wants certain foods but we make her sit at the dinner table with us and put a full plate in front of her, she learned pretty quickly that's what she has to eat (child cannot live by hot dogs alone). we know, after several attempts, what things she absolutely won't eat.
    hoggmar

Answer by hoggmar at 10:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• small snacks thru the day can be the reason. set him up on a time for each meal everyday. Dont let him have whatever whenever he wants or he will keep doing that. Sometimes hes not gonna be hungry and if he doesnt eat ok but when he is hungry he"ll eat it. Try little finger foods like chicken nuggets and things like that
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm with BradenisMySon. Re-offer the previous meal. He'll get the idea and won't actually let himself starve. I try to offer at least one thing at each meal that I know he likes along with things he either sometimes eats or I want him to try. If he eats, great. If he doesn't, we move on to the next meal.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Don't let him graze on snacks all day, then he will be hungry when it is time to eat. Offer him left overs if he leaves it untouched. He will eat I promise!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You might also have the doctor check to see if he is constipated. My daughter was always saying her tummy hurts and theat she wasn't hungrey but then ask for a cookie or cracker. But then if you gave it to her she would take on bit and not eat it. She was actually having bowl movments but not getting it all out and so the constipation made her not want to eat. I am still battleing her with it. Good luck. Defenatly don't give him sweets untill he eats at least a little bit.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Make him a chef! Get/make him an apron. Most craft stores have them and you can get some fabric markers and let him decorate it however he wants. When you go grocery shopping take him with you. Make him your helper and also let him pick out some things he would like to try. When it's time to prepare a meal make an announcement like "Chef Johnny, please report to the kitchen! Chef Johnny to the kitchen please!". Let him help you in any way possible, keeping in mind and continuing to mention different safety issues. Remind him, "Hey remember when you picked out those zucchini the other day? Well, today I'm going to slice them up and then you're going to spread on the butter and seasonings, ok?" Set a timer and see if the two of you can prep the food before the buzzer goes off.
    (cont.)
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• While the food is cooking, ask him how he'd like to set the table today. Which plates to use, how to fold the napkins, etc.
    Before you all sit down to eat, be sure you have everything you need right there at the table including salt & pepper, extra napkins, butter and a pitcher of water. If you get up for any reason, kids see that as an indication that it's ok to get up from the table whether they've taken one bite or twenty.
    Once your boy has finished eating put him in charge of clearing his own place setting. If he eats all of his food put a sticker on a chart that you make. Once the chart is filled up, he gets a reward of some kind (maybe eating out, picking out a movie, etc.).
    For lunches, don't be afraid of picnics...even on the livingroom floor, still let him help.
    If you know of a friend who's a good cook, invite them over to give your son a cooking lesson to get him excited about being the house chef! =)
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Talk to your Dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010