Vagina odor in 4 year old daughter. HELP......

My 4 year old has complained of her private area itching so when I took her panties off to see if it was red, I noticed an odor. It was pretty foul, so I took her to the Ped. and they gave her Nystatin for a yeast infection but said it could be from chlorine, soap etc. When I asked about the odor, they said that it could be toilet paper staying up in her private from when she wipes. I wanted more answers than this. An odor is not natural and I didn't think you had that kind of odor with yeast (is thats what she has). Anybody has this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Lots of kids this age have a bit of an odor in the vaginal area. Sometimes this may be due to an object stuck in there, but usually that is accompanied by a really bad odor and some discharge. Generally a couple of sitz baths, soaking the child's bottom in a bathtub with lukewarm water and no soap, each day for a few days will help. Make sure the panties are cotton and loose and that if she is dry at night, she doesn't need to wear anything on that area.
    Mrs.Koukas2006

Answer by Mrs.Koukas2006 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• MY little sister got this all the time. my mom would take her to the doctor cause she would open her legs and it was really stinky.. They told her it was because she wasn't wiping correctly and that what was causing the odor. she would wipe back to front.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I hate to say this... but as a counselor I've seen it too many times... were there any signs of molestation that the dr could tell? don't freak out or jump to conclusions but start watching for any other signs: is she acting any differently behaviorally?

Now is as good a time as any to have the "good touch/ bad touch" talk just in case. Let her know that she can come to you if something like that did happen.

It could also just be from chlorine or soap killing off the natural bacteria that keeps your body regulated... when washing her don't put soap down there, just rinse with water... don't do bubble baths... see if the medicine does what its supposed to do
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010