6 year old and wetting the bed

ok so my 6 year old wets the bed every night i will wake her up so she can go to the bathroom i will not give her anything to drink 3 hours befor its time for bed i also keep alight on so she can see sometimes she will even be awake when she pees i just dont know what to do about all of this how do i help her to not want to wet the bed

devinalexis

Asked by devinalexis at 10:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had the same problem with my son. Make sure nothing is medically wrong first. My pediatrician gave me an alarm it hooks on their shirt and clips onto the underwear. It didn't bother him at all. When they start to urinate the alarm goes off and wakes them up. It is very loud. Every time it went off it woke him up and me up, so I could help him clean up and he would go to the restroom. It took about a week and he never wet the bed again.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• thankyou
    devinalexis

Comment by devinalexis (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son is the same way. Doc even did a sleep study on him. Conclusion he is an extremly heavy sleeper. Even the alarm didn't jar him. He said he would grow out of it. Good luck.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My daughter had the same problem until she was a 6. Her pediatrician said that it can be bothersome but until children are 7-8 wetting the bed is not a huge concern. For the most part you have super heavy sleepers that do not wake up with the need to urinate. You also have small bladders. We just put a plastic pad on her bed and used pull ups and limited her drinks. She went to bed around 7:30-8 and just had sips before bed. If you go to medical supply companys they have washable bed wetter pads that your daughter can sleep on over her bottom sheet. Good luck and in all honesty most kids dont wet the bed on purpose :). Be patient momma this too will pass :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Also check the Helping kids through bedwetting group. There is a lot of support and ideas there.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2010