How do I tell her?

How do I tell my mil nicely that she doesn't have a choice in what we name our child. I am all for listening to her ideas but I am tired of her flat out telling me no to the name I have thought about naming a boy for 7 years, or when I finally give in and we start thinking about another name she tells me that should be his middle name and we should name him ... She is becoming very persistent and demanding about this and I am getting very frustrated I need help telling her to back off this isn't her child.

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Baby Names

• Just say... "you had your chance to use that name" And then leave it at that. Or say... hmmm... we will consider it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Smile pleasantly and tell her that you'll consider all advise. Keep saying this. The idea is that she may get to understand that she is allowed to give advise but that that is all that it is.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Just politely tell her that you have decided to name the child whatever name you picked out. The only people that have a say so is you and your husband. Anyone else just has the right to express suggestions... But not expect you to name your child their suggestion.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• ^^"I misspelled. It is "Advice"

• I'd just "yeah yeah" her to death and name YOUR baby what you and your DH want. =0)
    SupriseImPregy

Answer by SupriseImPregy at 10:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Don't discuss names with her. I know it's hard, but really after my 1st and all the noses in the air on what his name would be. People would know the sex not the name.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The same thing I tell everyone else.... I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm carrying the baby, I'm giving birth to the baby, and I'll be the mom caring for the baby, so _I_ get final say. End of story.

If she likes the name so much, she can get herself a puppy or something to name.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 10:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Here's how this is handled in our family: The names are selected by Mommy and Daddy. No one is told what the baby's name is until the baby is introduced to the family at birth. No suggestions are allowed from anyone. It is all decided by Mommy and Daddy.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:59 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• "Just say... "you had your chance to use that name" And then leave it at that. Or say... hmmm... we will consider it."

I think that's a great answer! I'm just waiting for this to happen with my MIL and I know I can't let her assume she has a say or it won't stop.

I'm not talking about MILs specifically but, where do people get off assuming it is their duty to accept your choice of a child's name or not? I am okay sharing with friends and asking their opinions and receiving but when acquaintances ask what the child's name will be and then tell you what you think of it is rather presumptuous and rude in my opinion.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:00 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• "If she likes the name so much, she can get herself a puppy or something to name. "

Ha ha! Awesome!
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010