Is there any "natural" things to do to possibly conceive with twins??

DH and I would love to have a set of twins... when we are able to start TTC again, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help my chances of conceiving twins. We have twins that run in our families - however I know it doesn't go by the male genes... we have two singletons, a boy and girl... no twins yet. Just wondering, for fun! Thank you!

RealHousewifeOH

Asked by RealHousewifeOH at 10:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Twins would scare me to death! LOL
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No.. Nothing to help without medical intervention.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Eating sweet potatoes gives off a hormones that can cause you to hyperovulate resulting twins. It could take one cycle or several, I don't know how often you need to eat them though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh how fun! Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thank You! :)
    RealHousewifeOH

Comment by RealHousewifeOH (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• This is what I have read on the Internet http://www.ehow.com/how_2109825_conceive-twins.html
    With that said I would never go out with the intention on having twins. There are so many risks involved to not only yourself but babies as well. I do not know why people want to try and have twins, I mean I am sure the thought is nice but you have to see the whole picture.
    I am an identical twin and my sister and I both have medical problems due to being premature. I have a lot of friends that have had twins and a lot of their babies were premature and in the NICU for a while too.
    Just think about the whole picture than just entertaining the thought of having twins and how cute they would be to dress up alike and such.
    La-Belle-Vie

Answer by La-Belle-Vie at 11:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't know why anyone would want to! Good Luck!

The World Health Org recommends waiting at least 3 years after having a baby before ttc. It takes that long for your body to fully recover and it's better for the baby. You say you have 2 children already and it may take your body a little longer. La Leche League keeps a list of leaders that have had twins that will help moms breastfeeding twins.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• La-Belle-Vie: Sorry to hear about your prematurity. I know that to a lot of people having twins would be a scary thing and not so much as a "fun" thing. And I also know that there are risks, but millions of twins are born each year without complications. I have twins running through both mine and my husbands families and not a single one of them, nor their mothers have ever suffered complications, other than the normal "wear & tear" of pregancy and childbirth. There is a risk for any mother giving birth... I appreciate your comment. And like I said, this was for fun... I obviously know that there is no way to produce twins without medical intervention... or the world would be overran with twins.
    RealHousewifeOH

Comment by RealHousewifeOH (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I have identical twin boys, which is the rarest form of natural twins-1 in 250. They were full-term babies & do not have ANY medical issues. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting & having twins. Although they are a challenge, they are the most WONDERFUL challenge I've ever had in my life. Having twins the natural way really isn't something you can "plan". Also, natural twins that run in the family generally skip every other generation. This is something to take into consideration. Odds of having natural fraternal twins is 1 in 89. Some DRs say that taking a folic acid supplement can increase your odds to 40%. Having sex right after discontinuing BC pills can also increase your odds since the body sometimes tries to make up for what it couldn't do on the pill & releases more than one egg at ovulation.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010