Is this anal ofme or wrong?

To give my 4 and 6 year old a zippy cup in the house so when they are in the playroom they don't make a mess? What about a 7 yr old and a 11yr old?

CokietheClown

Asked by CokietheClown at 11:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think a sippy cup for a 6,7 and 11 year old is a little anal. How about just having them drink their drinks in the kitchen so they don't make a mess? As for a 4 year old some of them still need sippy cups I guess. Mine doesn't use them anymore but I make my kids eat and drink only in the kitchen.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't give a child past the age of three a sippy cup. Definately not a seven or 11 year old.
    Teach your kids how not to make a mess.
    Or keep them at the table when they drink and don't allow drinks throughout the rest of the house.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• not anal... well, maybe for the 11 yr old... but for the younger kids it makes sense
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• the younger ones it makes sense. my 7 year old has a sports bottle to drink from around the house. but an 11 year old i would think would be able to drink without making spills
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:03 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• idk about everyone else, but my son could take his lids off at 3! so the sippy cups didn't help much. i just limited where he was drinking--certainly he couldn't drag a drink around the house, whereever he felt like it! @ 5yo, he's only allowed a drink in the kitchen, or his playroom, which has hardwood floors, and a big cheap throw rug. but he's pretty good at not spilling things, now.
    :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• This is why my son was only allowed to have a cup if he was sitting down in the kitchen...never to just have it while roaming the house. But, no sippy after age 3.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That is kind of anal. It sounds like you're almost overly concerned about your things or at least neatness. Kids are going to make messes. That's inevitable. If it really concerns you that much just make them eat in the kitchen. BTW my 15th month old drinks out of a regular cup with handles. Only sometimes does she drink out of a sippy cup.
    orchidmozart31

Answer by orchidmozart31 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think the oldest is perfectly capable of drinking a drink without spilling. If stains are what you are concerned about then limit drinking/eating to the kitchen only. Problem solved. I do not, however, feel that you having your 11 year old drink out of a sippy cup is neglect. Neglect would be not giving her children anything to drink at all and obviously this is not the case here.
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• For the younger children no, it sounds fine. Or they can come to the kitchen to drink. For the older one, a sippy cup is a little much. That one is definitely old enough to know not to make a mess or to drink in the kitchen if you don't want the possibility of a mess. I know lots of people who don't allow drinks beyond the kitchen and I don't consider that neglectful. What would be neglectful is giving them nothing to drink ever.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I only allowed cups in the kitchen or dining room. If someone takes one into the playroom, then it is breaking the rules and needs to be dealt with.

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 AM on Jul. 29, 2010