Sex and children..where do you stand? adult content

I know this is a pretty controversial topic, but I have been wanting to get different views on this. Where do you stand with your children and sex? Do you keep them sheltered when it comes to sexual content on TV or in movies? Do you keep your sex life completely secret with you SO as if it doesn't even exist? What age are your children and what kinds of things do you allow in their lives?

vampiremommy1

Asked by vampiremommy1 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My oldest is two, so we are a long way from having to cross that bridge, and honestly I am not sure how to deal with it either. My parents were very secretive and didn't discuss sex. It was very uncomfortable. Its not the dynamic I want with my kids, but I don't know how I will be able to set a better example.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Mine are 5 & 3 so heck yes I keep everything about sex a secret from them/.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The only thing she doesn't watch on tv or movies is porn. She's 5 and knows the basics of how it happens, why it happens and what happens afterward. She knows it's just for entertainment, that it isn't real. And I figure it opens the door for more questions.
    I will allow most things in her life. I see no point in sheltering her too much. This way, I feel that when she gets around other kids who are also not sheltered she won't be quite so shocked. And when they start trying to give her info on stuff, she'll already know the truth.
    I grew up very sheltered, had to have a friend tell me what sex was at 16. I don't want that for my daughter. I was lucky, I had good friends who didn't gossip and who told me the facts, the right information. Most people who learn from other kids aren't so lucky.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Right I totally understand. And see the is where I am stuck too. I know that I do not want to shelter my children. But when is it too much? Sex is a huge part of my religion and lifestyle, so I don't want to "hide" that part of life from my children, I think that sex is also part of our society today. I would much rather be open about it than have my child learn about it from an ignorant source, ya know? I just don't know where to draw the line.
    vampiremommy1

Comment by vampiremommy1 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• sex is not something we HIDE but we dont go shoving it in our 7 year olds face either. if a show is TOO explicit we change the chanel. he isnt ready at 7 to get too much info yet. we talk to him about self exploration and the need for privacy and respect. since he sometimes wants to explore his wobbly bits.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am like KiwisMommy...and at 10 I had the absolute tell all sex conversation. He knows what I know. What he doesn't know is what I do or am doing or have done. My son is 14.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• mines 8 and i try to be somewhat open about it- when he gets older I want him to feel comfortable talking to me about sex. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't going to stop him from doing it.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My children are 3 & 4... They already understand the very basics and No, we do not shelter them from anything. We talk about sex and whatnot in front of them and have never sheltered them from anything on TV or movies (besides obvious porn or gore) Hell, they sit and watch my Soaps with me in the after noon. I don't want any aspects of sex to be hidden or misunderstood when it comes to my kids. They have questions, I have answers. We don't believe in softening the truth or side stepping it in any way. When out kids are dating and ready for sex it will be up to them when they choose to take that step. We do not teach abstinence or "wait for love" or any of that crap! I don't believe it's natural or healthy to deny one's self. I prefer that my children have all the proper information, the right education and have not only access to BC, but also support and honesty no matter what!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My oldest is 8. We don't shelter the kids. I make out with my husband on the couch in front of our kids and they laugh. We are very affectionate. I let them see kissing on TV but, thats about it. We are not secretive but, it is not like we have a dinner table discussion about it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i say i wont hide it from my daughters, i dont want them to find out about birth control after it is too late! but i wont be like ok girls lets sit back and watch debbie does dallas or anything either lol
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2010