When you and SO have an argument, do you thing it's right to talk to friends/family about it or should it be kept between the two of you?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• i think you have the right to discuss the situation with whomever you choose, however, i have learned that the less i involve family, the better... remember these people are all human, they are going to pass judgement, and you don't really want all the personal business known when you all gather for holidays, etc. - no matter how supportive they are... i can tell you stories about my experience with this, but suffice to say, i just make it a policy not to discuss arguments with family. as for friends, they are awesome. i also know that my friends are mature and will not open their mouths and say something stupid to my man or judge me or him after all is said and done.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Depends on what the agreement is.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• depends. usually i will talk to a girlfriendif i need support and input. but not family. family has a long memory and what might be just a bad week or day in a relationship a family can store it up for forever and harbor bad feelings about the SO
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Our problems/issues stay between us.

They are not family's business, place to get involved etc.

The only way I would get my family involved in my marriage/marriage issues, is if I were being abused and needed help/support in getting away.............................. other than that.........our problems are ours and no one else's.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Depends. If it's a small thing, I find talking to my sister/best friend helps me get perspective on it. We have an agreement, we don't bash each others husbands or offer advice, just lend an ear. It seems that talking it out with a person not involved can clear some things up.
    I don't talk to family about it. I don't talk to family about any problems. Even years later, they'll still bring up that you didn't take their unwanted advice. It's just not worth it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I sometimes talk to a friend because she can give me good advice on how to handle the situation. When you argue you sometimes say things before you think. There are times I am upset with my husband and talking to her I feel better and end up not arguing with him. On the other hand some arguements I keep to myself. I know that my husband prefers to keep it all between us. I don't bitch about him to my friend I just discuss the issue and ask what to do. I know I wouldn't want him to go bad talk to his friends about me.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think it depends on who you are talking to and what the argument is about.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If I need to vent or lok for advice I will come in here,lol. In my experiance, it is better not to involved friends and family who will then form biased opinions of your SO.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 11:40 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Our "discussions" stay between us. They are no one elses business and telling family your business could cause them to severly dislike your husband for something that is not completely his fault.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would say it is best to keep it between the two of you. Sometimes when telling others they can take one side or the other rather than giving good direction.
    Pinkstr56

Answer by Pinkstr56 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010