My DD's grandmother (My ex's mom)

My ex and I haven't been together in 5 years, his mother is a pill. Shes a pathalogical liar and tends to create problems intentionally. She always has to be the center of attention, at my DD's birth, nobody was paying attention to her so she faked some sort of sickness and admitted herself into the hospital. Then, she stole all of my pain killers (after having a c-section) and told everyone I was a druggie and took them all. Well, she calls me like 5 times a week and I tend to not answer because I just don't want to deal with her BS. I will text her weekly and just say things like ' sorry, i've been really busy, but we are ok'. She trys to treat me as if she is MY mother and she expects me to allow her to arrange for her to take my DD once a week. Am I wrong to think that she should be going through her son (my ex) to see my DD, on his time? And to not answer her calls, etc?

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 11:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• She could go through her son and see your daughter on his time. It's not too much for her to hope to get to see her at other times, too. You say that you don't pick up when she calls. Maybe if you picked up more she would call less... but then maybe not. It would be polite, since she is your daughter's grandmother, to pick up, to speak at least briefly with her, and to tell her politely that she'll need to see her granddaughter on her son's time. This should get the message across.

Answer by Bmat at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I ignore grandparents calls too. Mostly my adopted son's BM's father he is annoying to the max and tried to tell me what to do with my son. Tell her she needs to talk to her son when he has your daughter.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I used to answer for her every time before, but she always creates drama, like telling my EX I am still in love with him, etc.
    allfiller

Comment by allfiller (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• yep i agree, she can see your daughter on HIS time. he needs to be the one making that happen not you. unless you feel that it is ok, at one time or another. you know what i mean? but i would not say that it is up to you to set up her seeing your daughter every week. sounds like you have a right to be feeling how you do. good luck momma! and good job!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think that any grandma wants to call and see how their grandchildren are doing. You don't have to talk to her everytime she calls. I am sure that even letting her say hi to your daughter would make her happy. She should try to go through her son more on when to see your daughter. I would even talk to your ex if you guys are on good terms and see if he can talk to her. Since you say that she causes drama I am not 100 percent on how that will go but talk to him. I hope that things will work out for you.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• she absolutely should be working with her son. if she were a sane person, of course it would be nice for you to maintain a relationship, which might benefit you as well, but IMO it doesn't sound like being around that nutjob would be a good thing for your daughter in the first place!! talk to the dad and have him handle it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010