How do I stop my kitten from peeing in the laundry baskets?

My kitten is peeing in the laundry baskets that have clean clothes in them. We have plenty of litter boxes. I wonder why he is doing this.

mommyfox03

Asked by mommyfox03 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pets

• how old is the kitten?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• to add cats often pee in places they shouldnt if they have a UTI or urinary crystals causing them pain too
    sati769leigh

• How old is he? Is he just learning to use a litterbox? You can get some litter box enhancers from the vet or maybe at Walmart. Basically its catnip I think you put in the litter box. You may want to just start putting in the litterbox every so often to encourage him just like you would potty train a child. But make sure you don't leave any clothesbaskets out for him to use until he gets used to where he's supposed to go. Leave the litterbox by his food and water dish too and don't move them around, so he knows where he's supposed to go. Or have a couple litterboxes. They usually say have one more box than you have cats. I hope it works. Be careful not to physically punish him or he could start to do more of it to punish you. I have three cats and I love them but they can have attitudes from time to time.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Some cats love very clean litter boxs. If there is even a little in there. The kitten could not like it. We have cat that has to have it cleaned every two days. So we got those cat litter boxs that clean it each time they go. We have not had a problem since then. Good luck
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• He's 4 months. He is going to the vet today.
    mommyfox03

Comment by mommyfox03 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I clean the litter boxes everyday. I need to put the laundry baskets up, which will be a pain because I do laundry down stairs and the kids clothes go up stairs. I usually wait until the baskets full to put them away.
    mommyfox03

Comment by mommyfox03 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh and my kitten is deaf!
    mommyfox03

Comment by mommyfox03 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• With our kitten it was attitude. She picked only a certain family member's clothing to pee on and it turns out that certain family member liked to tease her. Apparently Little Miss Princess decided to get revenge. I started making SURE that clean laundry was put away and if I couldn't get it done then we put something over the laundry basket so she couldn't get in it. We also got after her if we caught her even NEAR the clothes. She stopped.

If you have another cat, your kitten may not feel comfortable sharing the litter box. If you've declawed the kitten recently, he may have sore paws and the litter hurts his toes. If he's 4 - 6 months or older, he may be spraying to mark territory -- get him neutered. A UTI is a possibility.

A hint: wash the clothes in hot water with 1 cup of vinegar. You may have to repeat it but I've found it's very good at getting the urine smell out of clothes, bedding, carpet, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• He has his own but goes in the other litter boxes too. No I will never declaw. He is also neutered. Thanks for the tip about the vinegar.
    mommyfox03

Comment by mommyfox03 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would have him checked for a urinary tract infection. It might not be the reason but it's a good place to start.

I have a 9 yr old kitty who pees in the dirty clothes when she is angry with us. Luckily, it's the dirty laundry.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010