Who determined "cuss" words? Profanity??

I ask this because DH and I were talking about this last night. Any thoughts..Did society produce this and it has passed down from generations and each generation considered a certain word as profanity?

ShelbysHope

Asked by ShelbysHope at 11:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Word have power.... they are not just words but words with power.. be it negative or positive.
    We also should exercise respect and honor toward those around us. I do mind when people cuss. Dirty words comes across filthy and have a negative power to it.
    There is life and death in the power of the tongue. Best to bridle the tongue than reap the negative results when you speak negative words.
    The opposite of negative is positive. You know I just watched Touched by an Angel the other day. A man said something very bad to Monica and instead of her letting it go it ate up inside her. Negative words have this affect and not everyone knows how to stop it so what happened was it caused a chain reaction in this resturaunt and Monica escalated this when she became irritated with sounds of phones ringing including the manager's who happened to be the same man that chewed her out earlier. It affect not only him, but his employees
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• To me, words are words... It's HOW they are used which determines their worth...

If you kick your foot and scream "F*CK" it actually does make you feel better according to studies... Not profane!!
    If you tell someone they are a piece of crap... Crap may not be seen as a "cuss word" but it's just as profane as any other four letter word!

We don't teach our kids that some words are good and others are not... We simply teach them that it's more important to speak to others with respect and kindness, regardless of the words you use...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I still don't get it, they are just words to me.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think it's more personal. To me, they're just words. Just a little something extra to help make the point. Some find only F and GD to be bad and have no problem saying anything else. Some think boob, fart, butt are bad words and shouldn't be said. I think it's just passed down from parent to kid. I know my dad didn't mind cussing. But my mom isn't a fan of it, she doesn't like hearing or saying it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, "hell" is considered a profanity but describes a place mentioned in what is supposedly a holy book. "Sh*t" is a legitimate word describing a bodily function. Even the words "god" and "damn" are words that are in several supposedly holy books and which have specific meanings in a dictionary. Even the F word once had a different meaning in the English language, but I'm not sure what it signifies today. I do think it is incorrectly used a great deal. Profanity signifies to me a certain ignorance. A childish inability to express oneself appropriately or keep control over one's emotions. Society has selected these words to be curse words (tho I have never seen them in any of the curses that I have in my spellbooks). Who knows where it started or where it will stop.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The Seven Words by George Carlin

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I dunno. I don't get it. They are just words to me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Each individual determines what they think is a "cuss" word or not.

As far as profanity laws are concerned. Those are pretty grey really. Most profanity laws are written to state that something is profane if the community as a whole finds it offensive. However. Not everyone in a "community" has the same idea/thoughts in regards to what is offensive. And the supreme court has ruled that what is "profanity" depends on the context in which the language is used. There are some states that do have laws against using profanity in public and even on the phone. But again, even within the law, what is or isn't "profanity" is pretty open to interpretation.

To me personally.. There are no profane words. Just words.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The FCC
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• They are just words to me. Though I think that they became curse words by some over exaggerated Christians. Not a jab just honest thought.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2010