Talk me off the ledge! I am really pissed at my daycare provider

This morning my in home daycare provider informs me that she is going up on her rates $30.00 per week starting Augst 1st, Ok that is MONDAY!. She has spots she can't fill and she needs the money. Ok, NOT my problem! I am the parent who pays every Monday in cash, I am never late to pick up my child etc.
If I were taking my child out of her care, I would have to give her a 2 week notice but it is OK for her to give me a 3 day notice to raise my rate?
She said she had been advertising but cannot fill the open spots, I looked on Craigslist - she has NO ad posted.
Am I taking this too personally or would you consider moving your child to another provider. Please no bashing because my kid is in daycare! Thansk!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 11:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd go elsewhere. Next time be sure you have a contract stating that any rate increase must be given 30 days notice.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Since she needs her spots filled so badly, I'd let her know that she about to have one more open. WHY would she up them right now? Obviously not enough people are using her already...does she think that upping her rates is going to get new clients?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:43 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• of course if she has the cheapest rates aroundb or has the better facilities, you may just have to eat this one.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hi LovingSAHMommy - I think she is trying to get more money for less kids! In the past she has always talked to me about things when times got tough, this was out of the blue and I think very fishy.
    chefronswife

Comment by chefronswife (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Amileegirl - Her rates are average, her home is average nothign special but my girl has been with her since she was 8 weeks old. There is PLENTY of competition in the area too.
    chefronswife

Comment by chefronswife (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She needs to give you more than a two day notice that the rate is increasing. She is being ridiculous! My mother has run a home daycare for over 30 years, and she would never do that. When she does increase her rates, she gives at least a one month notice. If you're happy with the daycare (aside from this last minute rate increase), and your child is happy there, then I wouldn't advise taking your child out because it's very difficult to find a good daycare. Maybe try talking to the provider to see if she can give you two weeks notice. Good luck!
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 11:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'd go else where. I use to own an in-home daycare and would NEVER do that! For one, she should give you AT LEAST a 2 week notice. For 2, if she wants to increase, it should only be about 5 or 10 dollars, NOT 30! That's ridiculous!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i would, the lack of notice is discourteous. and i would not stand for it
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would report her to the better business bureau. And if she is not an official business, then I would think you are not legally bound to anything, be it paying higher rates, or giving her two weeks notice if you want to leave.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't think you're over reacting. That sounds pretty shady to me. Daycare centers wouldn't be able to do that and it's not professional or good business practice for her to do it either. If you think she's being dishonest I would consider going elsewhere. However, if you and your child really like it and you feel like she's worth the extra $30, then I might ask her to give you till next month before she impliments the rate increase. Just tell her times are hard for everyone and you haven't found the money tree either, so you'll need till at least next month to re-adjust your budget. If she refuses, try talking to some of the other parents who use this daycare. Surely you're not the only one who feels this way. Good luck.
    Miss_cecilia

Answer by Miss_cecilia at 11:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2010