S/O of children and sex...

I have two easy questions for you... Just want to see a comparison here...

1.) How old were you when you lost your virginity?
2.) Are you giving an early sex ed, teaching abstinence or something else?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• For me... I was 11 when I lost my virginity, regardless of being "locked up" and "sheltered" by my mother. (We didn't have the sex talk til I was 14)

And we are fans of early, open and honest sex ed, w/o ANY sheltering...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• 1)15
    2)we are teaching age appropriate sex education we will try to instill respecting his body and his future partners in abstaining from sex until he can support a possible child. but provide condoms just in case too.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:44 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was fifteen when I lost my virginity. I'm open with my kids in that I answer honestly any question that they put to me (they're still fairly young so the questions thus far have been more about how babies get in there and then come out.) As they get older I'm going to be stressing sexual responsibility- this can include abstinence and that would be great, but if they are going to be sexually active they should respect themselves, respect their partners, use protection, be responsible for consequences, etc.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was 17 when I lost my virginity and I will be teaching my children that sex is for love and how to be safe.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:45 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Just to add, the only sex talk my parents ever gave me was "Just don't do it!" and they were also very strict. I can remember having to sneak around to even learn about birth control options- I had to borrow a book from a friend and keep it hidden under my bedroom dresser, and I had to go to extreme heights of sneakiness to purchase and hide condoms. Had I not been one of those 'fifteen going on thirty' types of teenagers, I might not have made the effort to educate myself and get birth control and might have ended up pregnant at an early age... I'm going to try not to make my kids jump through hoops to protect themselves because they might be lazier or less sneaky than I was!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• 16 when I lost my virginity.

For sex ed. With my son, I have believed in full on, all encompassing sex ed from a young age. We started at around 5 w/age apropriate education (good touch bad touch, he's always be taught proper names for body parts, and their functions). And sex ed has been a constant ongoing dialogue his entire life (he is now 18)..

He has been taught everything from body parts/functions, to stds, sexual responsibility, pregnancy, birth control methods, sexuality, respecting partners boundaries, understanding no means no in any context, reprecussions/consequences of irresponsible sexual behaviour, responsible sexual behaviour, safer sex practices, etc.

My personal belief is that the better educated, better informed my son is. The more likely he is to make good/safe choices in life.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• 1) i was 13 when i lost mine. and i wish i would have waited.

2)my daughter is almost 2, so i am not there yet. but i want things to be open and honest. i want to teach her what is right and how to protect herself. but i want her to know that waiting untill SHE IS READY is the best thing she can do for herself. and that no one is worth giving up your self respect.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 11:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was 15, and I wasn't safe about things from the beginning and I do feel it was because of being too sheltered. Sex is a huge part of my life and my religious practices and I plan on it being part of my childrens life too. No that does not mean I am going to promote them having sex, but I am certainly not going to pretend it doesn't exist. I am also not going to push abstinence. I will inform them of everything they need to know to protect themselves when they decide the time is right for them. See my Answers post titled Sex and Children where do you stand?
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was 16....

And once my kids get a little older (they are still toddlers, so don't understand yet) we will teach them that we would love for them to wait for as long as they can...not saying necessarily until marriage, but at least until they are old enough to understand that sex can come with a lot of responsibility. I want them to be safe, and I want them to be smart about it too. I never had a sex talk with my parents. my mothers idea of the talk was "Do it and I will kill you" Yeah that helped. *Sarcasm*
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i was 13. im going to teach them about STD's, show them pictures of STD's, & tell them about early pregnancy & how theyre only young once, im going to teach my son to respect women, and my daughter to respect herself & that there are alot of men in this world who will tell you anything you want to hear just to have sex with & that she doesnt want to end up with many regrets. i would perfer that they didnt sleep around or have casual sex and if i can stop that, i will, but i dont expect them to be virgins until they are married. if they have a boyfriend or girlfriend that i like, thats treats them well, im not going to try and force them not to have sex because its normal to have and want to have sex, but i just hope they wait longer then i did and i really want to keep them from getting any STD's because STD's are running rampid nowadays.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010