how long does alimoney last

i have been marrid 23 years and have had a couple ofjobs do you know how much is it ?or how it is worked out

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• alimoney should last until you move in with another man and or get married.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I believe the alimony lasts till one of you gets married again...Im not quite sure.....but if he pays you and you get remarried then its stops...now if he pays you and he remarries I think he still has to pay...and it goes the other way around...look it up on your county courts site. It might tell you on there....or call a lawyer or into the courts....good luck
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I dont really get alimoney except for rare cases.

MOST families are a two person income, so why cant the woman earn her own way.

To me, alimoney was good for when the woman always stayed home and never worked.

NOW I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT CHILD SUPPORT.....a man should support his children period. This includes helping with electric, water, gas bills etc.

But what I am talking about is just between a man and woman.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think alimony is determined on a case by case basis. My friend got alimony for 4 yrs and she did not remarry. Sorry to hear about your divorce.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• depends on what state you live in... the laws vary...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Alimony is based on the difference in you and your spouse's earning while married. It is calculated on a case to case basis. You should look up your state laws to determine more information.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• iam in orlando florida bit origuinally from england
    pinky91

Answer by pinky91 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my husband had to pay a contractual alimony- they agreed on a set amount that he would pay his ex so that she couldn't claim any of his retirement...
    this was because of Army laws...
    it really does depend... talk to your lawyer
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sometimes alimony is given when one spouse makes much more money than the other spouse. Ex: The wife quit college to get married and raise babies. She works now but in a low paying job but the husband makes a lot of money as a professional. Her salary will never be equivalent to his but she sure as heck contributed towards helping him get where she is. Why should she get screwed in a divorce just because she supported him during the marriage?
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Actually, there are quite a few single income households. We are not "rare". Any woman who gives up her goals and ambitions to raise a family for a decade or two should be entitled to be reimbursed for her services. We are worth over $165,000 a year. My advice is to google and see if you can find the laws for your state. Sorry to hear about the divorce but I wish you well and Good Luck!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010