Children and religion?

Okay so I am wandering what you will be doing with religion in your childs life. My family is Catholic.. but my mom chose not to baptize me or raise me Catholic as she felt it was my decision in the end. I chose to be pagan.

What religion are you and will you instill it into your child's life? Will you let them choose their own beliefs when the time is right? Will you introduce them to a variety of religious beliefs?

vampiremommy1

Asked by vampiremommy1 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My husband and I are atheist. Right now, that's how we're bringing up our daughter. When she's older, and mature enough to not blindly follow someone's religion, we'll let her choose. Right now, she's only 5 and just wants to please the adults in her life. She knows who god is and knows that some believe in him and some don't. Right now, that's all she knows. She'll be free to check out other religions once she's older. It's her life, her choice.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am no religion. but my son has a godfather who is christian who will be teaching him christianity and taking him to church. i will be also taking him to other churches and other places of worship as he gets older.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We are not raising our children with a religion. As they get older, I will help them learn about different religions, and then they can decide once they get older if and what they want to believe in. I was baptized Lutheran and my husband Catholic, but neither of us follow the religions.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• From what I've observed, when the parent refuses to teach the child religion and says they'll let the child decide when he is older, the child skips the issue. We brought up our children in my church, and we treated my husband's religion with respect, also. I wanted them to have the background of a religious community and religious teachings. When they grew up, it was still their decision, but at least they'd been exposed to what I believe.

Answer by Bmat at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am an Atheist (My SO is Agnostic, and my Ex is an Atheist as well.) I simply omit religion from their daily lives, and anyone who has the inclination to attempt to indoctrinate them.
    There is no need for me to push MY beliefs, that is pretty clear in our daily life that I worship no one, and nothing.

This will be the case until they are mature enough to understand the implications of blindly following the rest of the sheeple.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My husband and I are both atheists and we are raising our children without religion.  They are free to choose their own path.  My children are teenagers and one is an atheist but my youngest hasn't put much thought into it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I follow/adhere to no organized religion. My husband is a SIkh. My son (now 18) was raised his entire life to seek his own path. He has been taught and raised around most every major religion (Muslim family/friends, SIkh family/friends, Hindu family/friends, Christian friends...etc).. He has attended religious services at : Mosque, Gurdwaras, Hindu Temples, Christian Churches (Catholic and Protestant), etc.. He has had access in our home to most all major religious text ( The Guru Granth Sahib, The Koran, The Vedas, The Unpanishads, The Gita, The Bible, Books on Buddhism of different varieties)..

He has at this point in his life chosen to follow the SIkh path like his father.. And I'm more than fine with that. It's his path to seek, not mine.

My belief has been this. It is not my job to instill a belief or faith into my son. It's my job to expose him to what all is out there, so he can develop his own faith/views.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• To me "religion" is different than believing.

We take our children to church and teach our children about God and Jesus. Why? B/C I know it to be true, so why wouldnt I teach my children about what i believe is true?

I do not FORCE our "religion" on our children....by that I mean....we are Baptist...to me, its just a name...I dont care if they choose to be Baptist, Presbyterian, etc...as long as they have faith in God.

Children need to be guided, when left to their own, they often get led astray into something wrong.

We are NOT blind...we study, we THINK, we learn...not BLIND!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was raised Catholic. I didn't agree with their beliefs, so when I was mature enough to make my own decision, I became a nondenominational Christian. My children are raised Christian. When they are older, they can make their own decisions about life and their beliefs. It's not like I can force my children to believe what I believe, but as long as they are under my care, they will follow my rules. Afterall, I am the parent.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We are raising our children LDS, since that is what we are. I will teach them about world religions, so they will be exposed to different beliefs. When they are older they will choose. I certianly cannot force religion on them, even if I wanted to. Religion, and a person's faith is something deeply personal. If you just Speak the words but do not believe in your heart it really doesnt matter ya know?
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 12:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010