I am considering adoption!

I am considering adoption my husband and I have talked about it for awhile, we know we don't want a baby, only because so many do want a baby, But I would think an American child between the age of 5 to 12, The thing my husband is 28 and I am only 22, Do you think they would allow me to adopt a child nearly half my age? What should I prepare for the process?

Topgunmommy

Asked by Topgunmommy at 11:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• I am a foster parent in Illinois and I know you have to be a certain number of years older then the child you adopt. I am sure it varies from state to state, I would check with the agency you decide to go through, they can give you that info. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• maybe you could look in to foster parenting to begin with for this journey? seems some folks start there .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't know much about adoption but good luck!
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I do not have an answer for you but I just wanted to say that you and your husband are amazing people for wanting to adopt an older child! Good luck and I hope someone can answer this question:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Adoption laws vary from state to state. Most require a couple to be married for an extended period of time, not on government assistance upon adoption, extensive background checks, extensive home checks, and such. Your best bet would be to contact the local agencies within your community and ask the requirements.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Kudos to your family for wanting to adopt! I wish more people were out there like you!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• and by the way, in most states you have to foster an older child first before you legally adopt them.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thank you, we are extremely fertile, so we would rather have an older child that would otherwise stay in the system.
    Topgunmommy

Comment by Topgunmommy (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes I think you are too young. But do you have younger brothers or sisters you help raise? that might help you.

You may want to try the big brother or sister programs?

Good Luck
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• good luck. Maybe stick with 3-6yo i think 12 is a litttle old for ur age.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 12:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010