16 month hitting himself in head?

My 16 month old keeps hitting himself in the head with things, his hands, toys,etc. Is this something normal? Any of your kids ever done this? I am really concerned. Know anything it might be from?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son used to do it. He eventually came out of that phase. I would just keep telling him to stop and that he's hurting himself.
    krystlbear

Answer by krystlbear at 12:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son is 2.5 years old, and he hits himself in the head when he gets upset about something. But he has a high functioning form of autism. That is not the only thing he does though. He also bites his fingers, pinches himself, and rubs his eyes very hard. I am by no means saying that your child is autistic though. My son also has several other delays associated with his spectrum disorder.

Maybe he is just expressing his anger like that because that is the only way he knows how at the moment.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son doesn't only do it when angry. He just does it out of no where. It is something he just started recently. He really doesn't have any other problems and has been advanced in meeting all of his milestones so far.
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Is he actually hurting himself? (leaving a mark or bruises?) If so, you probably ought to talk to your doctor about it.

I've seen my daughter do similar (she's 18 months), if it's not hard I just let her do what she wants. If it seems like she's hurting herself I'll put my had between her head and the object to prevent the bonk, then usually tell her "hey, be gentile" and demonstrate doing it softly or pat her head with her hand and say "see? do it nicely" (generally the same thing I do when she's hitting me. I realize sometimes she probably doesn't know her own strength.)

If he's not hitting himself hard enough to hurt, I wouldn't really worry about it. Sometimes they just like to investigate their bodies. I'm sure at one point I thought opening my mouth and knocking on my head to make noise was the coolest thing.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Very normal. Kids have to learn when you hit yourself, it hurts. My son smacks himself on the head, or smacks his head on the floor, and then comes to me crying, and i just tell him when you hit yourself it's gonna hurt so don't do it
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's quite normal, boys are 2-3 times more likely to be head bangers than girls... My son does it as well. Not so much anymore, but that phase didn't last very long which I am very happy with! It's quite a concerning thing when your child randomly hits them self and then looks at you like they don't know what just happened!
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 8:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2010