How is raising a child as an Atheist any different from raising them with the beliefs of any other religion?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmmm they can't blame every thing on God. When bad things happen they teach their kids some times bad stuff happens.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• They aren't afraid that if they screw up they'll burn for eternity in some imaginary place.
    They live life for themselves and not someone else that they can't see.
    They make their own luck and take credit for the good they do without having to give part of the credit to someone that isn't real.
    They do good things and help people because they feel it's right and they want to, not because some ancient book tells them to.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• you are raising a child with the same morals, expectations, etc. just leaving out the excuse of religion to backit all up
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We don't waste time going to church on weekends.
    Anonymous

• It's not in my mind. It's just another belief system.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well that would depend on the parents really. Obvioulsy if there is a religious parent that uses hell to scare their children into obedience an atheist wouldn't do the same. We'd have to teach them the reasons behind why they should listen to their parents and how if they don't it could affect their lives in a negative manner, etc. It really comes down to the parenting methods and not religion. An atheist that uses "becasue I say so" as a reason is no different than a Christian or religious person saying "because God says so" and the child will most likely end up rebellious. A parent that chooses to explain things to their children on why you shouldn't do something is more likely to have a child that understands and can make prudent and wise decisions and will have a greater respect for their parents and listen to what they have to say.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree that they don't make up the majority of people who are religious extremists. I just don't like how sometimes people who believe in a God are portrayed as people who walk around doing each and everything in their life for God. That's not the case. We can still raise our kids to think for themselves. It's not like everyone who believes in God is a brainwashed zombie. That's a big misconception as well. It's just as bad as when people make assumptions just because someone doesn't believe in God. It's not like because someone believes in God that they hand their entire brain over to God.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• How so? There are SO many different religions that believe in God. I'm not referring to Christianity, I'm referring to any and all religions which might believe in some sort of higher power. It obviously applies to some religions, but definitely not all.

I did good deeds and things as a child for the fact that I had sympathy towards other people. It was never only to please God.
    I have always taken credit for the good (and bad) things I do. We have free will, and we make our own choices.
    I was never afraid that if I "screwed up" that I'd burn in Hell.

And I've always believed in a God.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Why does this religious issue have to be that there are only extremes? Yes there are extremes either way but most people lie in the grey area. You take from a religion what you want from it it is not always an issue of black & white extremes. People believe what they choose to. The older you get the more you'll realize that there is more to it than you first thought. We are all free to choose what we believe in and when we introduce our children into any religion it is for positive reasons. Ultimately when they grow up, it is their choice. I have never seen a Mother physically drag their adult child kicking & screaming into a Church. So say & do what you want now but there will most likely come a day when you need your God and I hope it is later than sooner for me & you.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• because it is your child raise them the way you want. But sometime when kids get older they will have friends in a current religion that maybe they would lean towards. Just be open minded that even though you raise them a certian way they will change and do there own thing.... ( this has happen to friends I have known and parent disowned them cause they believed in something the parents were against.)

I am LDS and I will pray with my children and they were blessed and when the time comes and they choose to be baptised I will stand behind them. Just because your have no religious background doesn't mean you have the right to bash what other parents do with there children...
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010