How do I get my family to be supportive of me wanting to have a third kid?

When relatives ask if we want more and I say "yes" they get a shocked and exprerssion and ask "why".... My husband has started saying he doesn't want a third around people bc of their reaction. How can I get both our families to be supportive of our decision?

Wyatess0809

Asked by Wyatess0809 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Other than just telling them you guys want a 3rd and actually getting pregnant with a 3rd, I don't see any way of getting them to be supportive if they aren't already.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• As long as you and you hubby agree who cares what they think. If you really do care then tell them you got pregnant on accident once you are. They will all be happy once the baby arrives.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• While you want your family to be "supportive" of you having more children, it doesn't really matter in my opinion. The only people that absolutely matter are you and your husband. If both of you feel ready for another child, and can support another child, then have another child! Don't let anyone's opinions stop you.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• who cares what ur families think...seriously.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 12:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• What jerks....tell them becuase you LOVE being a mom & get excited about the idea of rasing a third child. Tell them you want a big family & that ou think it's a wonderful idea. Why are people so darn rude? It's sooo none of their business how many kids you want...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Unless they are going to be supporting you, just tell them they have no say in it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The only people that need to be on board are you and hubby. :) I say if you have more room, patience and money for another go for it. All that being said though, it never hurts to take a look at why someone thinks you aren't ready. Do you know what their concerns are? My mom thought we had #2 too early and didn't understand a 3rd at all. She is someone that waited until late and only wanted one herself though. Of course we weren't going to see eye to eye. Good luck!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Its you and your husband choice! who cares what they say.. I am having our third and my family and inlaws doing say anything about it cause they aren't providing for our kids so it doesn't matter how many we have as long as we are able to care for them
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• There opinion would matter very little to me as long as they aren't paying my bills, and until they are they don't get a say.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think this is a decision between you and your husband. I actually do not feel is anyone's place that is not helping you take care of your children to have an opinion about your family planning. We have 4 kids and have been thinking about a new addition for the last 6 months, we do get some negative comments like that when we tell people that we are "thinking about it" but at the end of the day, hubby & I support our kids alone so it really doesn't matter what they say.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2010