What benefits do you get for smoking?

I only see the neg of smoking. My dad has smoked for 25 years and he says it annoying and expensive habit. Cause he has smoked for so long he is addicted he can't stop.

I have heard people get sleep apnea since it made it harder to breath
bad breath, yellow teeth and fingers from there they hold the cig a different color. .

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 12:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Health

• It can be a stress reliever. Other than that, I don't know of any benefits. If it weren't for nicotine, not nearly as many people would smoke.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i agree! i am really trying to quit. been cutting down & waiting for my free nictoine gum to come from ny free quit smoking line.
    but the benefits, are that basically it gives me something to do, lowers my anxiety, and they taste good sometimes, like after i eat, while im drinking, after sex. and they kinda just feel good. the smoke feels good.. hard to explain.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• None
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 12:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It makes me happy. It tastes good, smells good, and I am at peace with a cigarette in my hand. Bad I know, but it's the honest truth. I go a few hours without and I get to be bitchy, cranky, and short tempered. Get me out on the porch with a cigarette and I'll smile in a dream like way and be a lot more laid back and calm for a few more hours.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My fingers and teeth are NOT yellow. I dont use teeth whiteners either, and I shower and wash daily. Ive smoked for 25+ years now. I breath just fine to. I admit I'm addicted and have tried many times to quit, but the physical addiction is more than Im able to handle. To me, smoking is anjoyable. It does release brain chemicals that make you calm and relaxed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's a stress reliever and it also supresses appetite. Most people don't start smoking for the "benefits" though. Just like any addictive behavior - it's starts as a casual, social thing and then snowballs.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Smoking does keep the smokers from beating the crap out of the non-smokers, and this benefits society as a whole!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Same can be asked about Junk Foods- What benefit do they have, other than that the person consuming them is enjoying it?

(and before you say it doesn't affect people around them, take a look at the $$$ spent out of taxpayer pockets to care for those who indulge, and suffer the health affects)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• This may sound silly but it helps me have a bowel movement. I struggle with constipation, and it never fails that less than 5 minutes after having a cigarette I'm making a run for the bathroom.
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Stress reliver and people say it helps keep weight off...I am not sure being a non smoker myself
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010