How would you handle a cross country move?

In a matter of weeks, my family will be flying to South Carolina. We will live there for 6 months for my husbands training, and then move to upstate New York. I've always live in New Mexico and have travelled but not a whole lot. I'm starting to get nervous about how I'll handle these different cultures, climates, and unknown areas. I've never even visited these areas either!!! What do you think you would do?

Oh, a moving company is coming to take our cars and things. We fly to South Carolina with just a few suitcases. Thankfully I've set up an apartment and got some information on a school for my daughter. That's about it though.

MamaHiD

Asked by MamaHiD at 12:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Make friends. Religious communities are great for this, also the Y, neighborhood play groups, and so forth. Best wishes on your moves.

Answer by Bmat at 12:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was a wreak when we moved from California to MD.I had a baby and I didnt know what to expect from the military.Im not gonna lie..I HATE the East Coast.Snow sucks!! But it is nice being close to other states.You will learn to like it....Good luck..I know its scary but just try and roll with it lol...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• first talk to all your docs for refers for both sc and ny, also aske your church for a church like yours in those states, then when you get there make friends and if and when you are unsure about culture things just explain that where you are from you either do that or you dont.. i can tell you this much i am from ohio and moved to alabama and what is considered respectfull here is considered disrespectful in ohio. for ex in the south you say yes/no ma'am/sir in the north its call back talk, in the south you call and adult mr/ms thier first name in the north use use thier last name.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 1:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I didn't even think about the different types of conversation! Oh goodness! this is gonna be fun! LOL
    MamaHiD

Comment by MamaHiD (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We're about to do it. Next week we are moving from Chicago to Portland, OR. My husband has been living there for the last 3 months (he only came home because we had a baby 2 weeks ago). I'm more worried about physically getting to Portland more than anything. On Monday one of those "you pack" places is dropping off a trailer and my husband and kids will pack it up (I can't lift anything since I had a c-section). Then we're driving to visit my mil in MO which is an 8 hour drive. Problem is our truck only seats 6 people and we are now a family of 7 people. I have no idea how we are all getting to MO. After that his 2 sisters are following us with their van and taking the extra kid. But we don't have money for both gas and motels. We'll probably be camping...it's going to be an adventure for sure.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2010