crying baby

ok i know its ok to let a baby cry but for how long before i pick her up. she is 4 months cutting teeth and when she is tired she will cry till you pick her up and here lately when i put her to bed after letting her cry for about 5-7 mins she takes her bottle for a few but when i leave the room she rolls over and cries again till she is picked up. what do i do i am short on sleep and have a adhd child who wont listen to me.

puresouthern

Asked by puresouthern at 12:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would sit and have a talk with your husband, because I know it's hard for a parent to let their baby's cry. It will help though to establish good habits for later! My 2nd daughter had horrible reflux and ear infections a lot when she was itty bitty, and it was always so hard to let her cry and try to sooth herself. the 5-10-stop method mentioned earlier...works! It takes a few nights of tryin though. Also a good solid routine before bed helps too! I gave my baby her dinner, then a bottle, bath, read a book, let daddy and sister say good night, gave her a binky and put her to bed. Now she's 17 months and when I say "OK Bri, bed time baby" She goes to her daddy gives kisses, gives kisses to sister, waves bye bye and goes to her room for me to put her in her crib. Good luck lady!
    MamaHiD

Answer by MamaHiD at 12:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You need to do what works best for you in your circumstances. Any mother can tell you what she did for her child but that won't necessarily work for your little one. I didn't 'ferberize' my son, we did the 5, 10 , done method. We let him cry for 5 minutes.. then would go in a soothe, then the next time 10 minutes, soothe, then after that we let him cry it out. It was tough and my husband has to litteraly hold me down a few times but my son is an excellent sleeper now. Best of luck to you!
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• At 4 months old, she's too little for the cry it out method. Have you tried teething tablets? They are homeopathic and work better than Orajel IMO. Swaddling and rocking are good too, she just wants to be comforted and going to her when she cries now will build up her confidence that you will always be there, and that in turn will make her more independent as she gets older. I know it's rough, but it is sooo worth it. Good luck
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Try swadding, and giving a pacifier if that don't work at Start with a warm bath, then play relaxing music. Make nighttime feedings all bussiness and keep the room quiet, dim the lights, and dont' engage your littleone. Simply feed and change her then quickly put her back to sleep. I hope this helps it worked for me I read it in american baby magazine but every baby is different good luck!
    jviera

Answer by jviera at 12:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i can deal with the crying and i do check on her but when her dad is home he cant deal with it for more than 1-2 mins. i have figured out her pattern but cause of my 7 yr old adhd child the baby got up from her morning nap way to early so i had to let her cry on and off for aobut 2 hrs cause she would play fuss eat fuss change fuss finally i had to let her cry for about 5 mins then get her adn try to put her down that did not work so i let her cry longer the second time b4 she stayed down. i know she is tired and so does she but its the 7 yr old who is alot of the problems with the baby.
    puresouthern

Comment by puresouthern (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My hubby was the same way when my dd would cry, but he got over it and so will yours. As for the 7 yr old, can you ask him to "help" you with the baby? Singing a song to her, or telling her a story?
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010