this is my first time breastfeeding and my older son does sports I'm embarrassed to breastfeed my newborn at my sons practices what can i do

jviera

Asked by jviera at 12:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump some out & put it in bottles to take with you.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Bring a cover and don't be embarrassed, you're FEEDING YOUR CHILD!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Get a nursing wrap/cover, they sell em @ target in the baby section. You can feed anywhere w/ out flashing boobies to every body else.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would just get a breast pump and pump the milk into little zip lock bags. When it's time to go to the sports game, make a bottle. Get the baby aclamated to the bottles at home first, of course.
    denisepeace

Answer by denisepeace at 12:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Invest in a Moby Wrap or a Hooter Hider. LOL Then you will be covered. Or you can pump into a bottle which I don't recommend, or sit in your hot car..again, I don't recommend. Or keep in mind you are doing what's best for baby and anyone that is offended can take a hike. My son is 14 and he would applaud you and not be the least bit embarrassed if you were nursing around him. And he is my only kid, so, no siblings to see nursed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was an active breastfeeding mom, too. I always just placed a receiving blanket over my shoulder and nursed my babies that way. It creates a little tent over your baby along with a bit of discretion for you. I don't have a problem with public breastfeeding. But, I did make sure to be discreet for the benefit of other's comfort.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• There are all kinds of covers you can get that will help. Also practice at home! With some of my shirts I can nurse and people don't even know I am nursing. They just think he is asleep! Or, get to practice a little early and sit in your air conditioned vehicle to nurse the baby! I much prefer this way during the summer. :-D It gets SO hot while nursing.

Practice! You really do get more comfortable. I have been nursing practically non-stop for 4 1/2 years and I am about at the point where I will nurse anywhere and don't care if you see something - though I am still careful to stay covered.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• a cover may help you get comftoble.. but you need to remind yourself that you have nothing to be embaressed about. You should be proud of what your doing, and do it with your head held high. REmind yourself that your providing protection from cancer, diabeties, obesity, metabolic disorders, autoimmune disorders.. and the list goes on. Not mention all the benifits your providing to yourself!! Be proud of what your doing!!

If you don't feel comftorble without a cover, they have all theses cute little covers taht you can buy or make if your handy.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Some breastfed babies will not take a bottle from mom because they know she has the real deal, so I agree with whoever said try at home first to make sure he'll take it. Some babies will not tolerate a cover over their heads while they are nursing. So you may also want to try this at home first. If all else fails, you can go to the car (bathrooms at public sports facilities are usually gross and I wouldn't even suggest that). I personally have no shame about NIP because I know I am feeding my child, in the most natural and healthy way that I can, and as long as no one is seeing any nipple there's no way it's innappropriate. You may want to look into some nursing clothes (ones that it is easier to have the baby to your breast without exposing anything). I didn't have any, but you can google "nursing tops" or "nursing dresses" and there are some cute selections! Good luck!
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010