How can I motivate children who have an "I don't care" attitude?

denisepeace

Asked by denisepeace at 12:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Light a fire under their ass.

Not obeying/helping out/cooperating comes with consequences... There are a lot of ways to make a child care.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Positive reinforcement! I have had a hard time with my oldest and PR works so well!
    MamaHiD

Answer by MamaHiD at 12:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hmmm...this is tough because every child gets that attitude for different reasons. Maybe if you get really excited about doing what you want them to do, they will become the same way. Make things fun. Clean their room with them and make it a race to see who picks up the most toys. Give them something to look forward to when they're done, and most importantly, tell them how proud you are of them. What motivates children the most is knowing their parents are pleased with them. Hope this helps, and GL!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My older son is 6 and now that he has a new brother he has been acting out and behaving badley I use to get mad at him and scold him but a friend told me to reward when he's good and ignor the bad and he will get better so I tried it and sure enough once i did that he stoped he was acting bad because he thought that was his only way of getting my attention. Just let your child know that you are there for them and reward them when they do something good stay postive and avoid the negative.
    jviera

Answer by jviera at 12:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Good question. My 9 1/2 year old has the "I don't care and you can't make me." attitude. I tried positive PR and had no luck. Good luck.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My 14 yr old has this tude bad. I dont know what to do with her. My 5 yr old on the other hand, is all about housework and cooking, until you ask her to pick up her stuff. lol
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010