I am just starting to homeschool my 13yo and I need help getting started because of budget issues.

Trying to find cheaper ways to buy books and to speak to other moms that do the same by teaching at home. I would prefer to find someone that has and is willing to sell the books they have. I have looked at sites and am totally confused at what I am looking at and if I can trust the sites to deliver what is shown.

Bigswtmomma

Asked by Bigswtmomma at 12:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Going cheap.... Your local library can and will be your best friend and the weekly hot spot to go to. For science and social studies unit with my kids I check out books on the topics I want to cover. Mine are young, but you can do the same thing with history. Language Arts/Reading you can check out the books also, if you wanted to do a unit on Shakespeare for example you can check it out....So take full advantage of your local library. What subjects does your state require that you teach?? If you don't know then check out HSLDA web-site: http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I used the library for two years. This year I enrolled my daughter in a program called k12. I don't know if every state offers this but the enrollment was free and she received three big boxes of books. She does some online but most is offline, then I just enter her grade.
    sheila771

Answer by sheila771 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Also be sure to check out your local homeschool groups. Most of them usually have a used curriculum sale once or twice a year. Library is the cheapest route...also check out internet resources. Computer games and software is great too!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Vegsource.com has a home school section that has a lot of sellers on it. I have bought and sold on it for years. Now we are done:-( But I know they still have a lot. Just starting out--I would teach chess (if he doesn't know it already)--start reading good historical fiction and non-fiction--real books. Science---start with what he wants to learn. Check out Ruth Beechicks web site. She has some great resources as far as books. There is one called You can Teach Your Child Successfully---it has a lot of good guidelines.  Do you have a certain approach you are trying to achieve?  There are many web sites to help depending on your approach. Another site with Beechick stuff on it is homehearts.com.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• . My youngest daughter is about to be 15 in a month. I have used different books and different styles depending on the child. My youngest isn't crazy about sitting and doing things on paper for hour after end, so we go some cd's that cover school subjects. I found these a few years ago at Sam's. I have also used the Learn At Home series, it's easy to find online and can sometimes be found on Ebay and other book sites. My best advice is to go with your child's attention span and interest, especially when they are young.

As they get older "unschooling: is a good idea.  This allows your child to follow their passions and they learn so quickly it will amaze you.

My youngest daughter is about to be 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo.  This is her exercise class and career lessons.   Cooking, shopping.. these are great for math skills and make it "real", rather than just repetitive work on paper.

Donna

SecretDesigns

Answer by SecretDesigns at 9:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• K12 is what we used. It was thru the Ohio Virtual Academy and was totally free. Check it out.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2008