Is the First Amendment really that hard to understand?

It is mind-boggling that in this point of our history, people (and that includes those running for public office) still don't grasp the idea that we do not, and should not, have an established religion in this country. Why is it so hard for some people to accept and embrace the idea of religious freedom?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i plead the fifth
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's not that. They just think they are doing what's best for everyone. It's dangerous, really.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Here is the link to my journal with a political ad for governor included (yes, I'm promoting my journal, so shoot me--this is important!!): http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1612759/Handed_to_me_on_a_silver_platter_politics_and_religion
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Actually, I think it's fairly simple if you look at the thinking of those who follow organized religions. The majority of those following these religions firmly believe in THEIR freedom and think that freedom entitles them to try to force their beliefs on everyone else. Unfortunately that freedom of beliefs also comes with the freedom to believe that everyone but you is wrong...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• How true,Sabrina. Sad but true.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm confused - we don't have an established religion. No one wants an established religion. I think everyone agrees we want the state out of religion. I do think that those who we put in the offices to run our gov. should have some form of religion in their lives. I don't care which one you choose. Be a Buddhist, but show that you have a belief in something which is your moral compass and where you obtained your values from. That is the whole thing. Freedom OF religion and not from religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; .....

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sometimes it goes back to the idea that the interpretation is to keep government out of religion but that it does not apply to religions involvement in government. For a research project I attended a service at a local Evangelical church, the message for that day: We (the members) MUST take their places in any and all forms of government to remove the evil influence now present and return us to the Godly ways of our forefathers. Very scary presentation, including tips on how to do it.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 2:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's painfully obvious to anyone with more than a cursory understanding of the history of government and religion that neither do the other any good. Religion is much better off without being involved in government, and government is able to be much more egalitarian without the trappings of religion.
    The purpose of our government, I believe, is to provide for the safety and security of the citizens, and to expand equality at every possible turn. Including religion in the mix makes both of those things more difficult.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sabrina said it best:) I want even try and out do it because I would fail.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hogwash. I don't push my faith on anyone. I get darned tired of being berated for being christian. Why do other faiths get a pass?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010