I have a cloth diaper question.

I have a two year old son and I'm not pregnant again yet, but am going to start TTC soon. I have decided that I want to cloth diaper baby #2.

I've been going through the cloth diaper questions, and still haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I have two questions:

1) I have seen that there are one-size diapers, and there are different sizes. I can see the benefits of both, but I am not sure which makes more sense. I don't want to buy different sizes if I can go one-size, but having diapers that fit better does make sense! So, is it better to go with one-size diapers, or different sizes?

2) How many diapers will I need? I know this is a dumb question, I HAVE a child and he went through a LOT of diapers... but if I'm willing and able to wash daily, how many diapers should I buy? And should I buy more of different sizes, if I decide not to use one-size?

Thanks in advance, ladies. :)

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 12:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wash every other day and have 30 diapers. That has been plenty from the time she was a newborn to now at 11 months. I could probably do fine with 24 diapers now.

I use prefolds and covers at home. I have 4 covers that I alternate between two at a time. In the beginning all I used was prefolds, so I had 30. She grew out of the infant size in about two months and then grew out of the next size after about another two or three months. The size she is in now she has been in for the last 6 months. We used to use disposables when out and about but after poo blowout after poo blowout, I bought a couple different one size diapers to try out. So I had 6 pockets of 3 different brands and then just slowly added more of the ones I liked. Now we have 17 prefolds and 12 pocket diapers and then 2 fitteds, but I rarely use those.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I want to know all this for my future kids too. LOL Thanks for asking.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I like the old cloth diapers as inserts. Those are all the same size. The covers are different sizes & I'm still using the same ones I was using when she was born. They have velcro- on the front is a strip of the soft side so you can adjust the sides to whatever width you need. Should mention my dd's on the small side so if your kid grows quickly or is larger you may have to get larger sizes to go far enough up his back & tummy. If his plumber's crack is showing its time to go up a size. There are really easy to sew yourself patterns on line, check you tube or g diapers make covers that you can stick an insert of your own into. Also, the ones I have have a pocket for the insert to go into, I just lie it on the inside of the cover so I can reuse the cover more than once & not have to change both every time she pees.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oops, forgot the 2nd ?- my dd goes thru about 6 a day, depending on how long naked time is. I'd wait to buy the larger size covers until its here & you can see how quickly you'll need em.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• One size diapers are GREAT! I had the Bum Genius ones. They do start at a slightly higher weight than some of the different sized ones, though, so you need to check out which ones will work best for you. Or, say you find some OS diapers that start at like 8lb and you think your baby will be less than 8lb, you could either use disposables for a short period of time or order some small prefolds and a couple of covers plus the OS diapers. My DD will be 2 in October and her OS Bum Genius still fit (I think she's around 27lb and I think those go up to 30-35lb!). I ordered mine from Nikkisdiapers.com because it was the cheapest place I found at the time, and they have a pretty good selection. A lot of places also offer packages to sample different kinds of diapers and you can send back what you don't want and stuff. (Continued in another answer)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If you really want to wash every day, I would say around 10-15 diapers so that you have some on hand while you're washing the dirty ones because it can take a while to wash cloth diapers and get them dry. If you want to wash every other day, I'd say two dozen would do alright. I think I had 31 diapers (2 dozen prefolds, 3-4 covers, plus 5 Bum Genius, and I also had two covers for the diapers with the flushable inserts, can't remember what they're called now lol) and I washed every other day at first, then it got to where I was washing every two days when she started going through less diapers a day.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My SIL on the other hand, started with one size pockets from the very beginning. She had 18 and washed every day. Her daughter didn't fit into the smallest setting until she was a month old, though, so they used disposables until then. She might have more now, but I don't know.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010