Any tips for a wannabe new quilter?

I thought it would be fun to try and make a quilt for my baby that's on the way but have never tried quilting before... any good tutorial websites or something like that?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 1:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Find a local quilting store or even better ask around at church if you go to one. Most of the older ladies quilt and love to teach someone. At Joann's or a large fabric store there might be classes. But there are baby quilts that are all one cut of the fabric. all you have to do is layer the batting, top and bottom and sew it all together. They have kits and employees who can help too.. Ask on here if there is a Mom close by that quilts and can help get you started. I am in Fl and would be happy to help if asked.
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• There is a great site, www.quilterscache.com, that has tons of free patterns, tutorials, and even categorizes the patterns for beginning quilters to experts!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well you can google it. I like a woman by the name of Georgia Bonesteel, she is amazing. I would start by picking a simple very uncomplicated pattern...that is the start. Then pick maybe 3 co-odinating colors of material. Pre-wash all fabric first and dry in dryer to preshrink...that is very important. Get a good hoop and some backing and saftey pins to anchor pieced quilt as you quilt it. Good luck and happy quilting...I love it!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I wanna learn to quilt too! I even have a sewing machine (it was handed down to me), if only I knew how to turn it on! LOL Good luck!
    MamaHiD

Answer by MamaHiD at 1:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Look into strip quilting... you sew a lot before you cut it into small pieces... it helps things go faster and it's great way to start. I found a book about it and that's where I started. Have fun!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010