how long do you put something in a crock pot to heat it up?

Im just wanting to know, im new to the whole crock pot thing lol.

prego_jessi

Asked by prego_jessi at 1:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It really depends on what it is. For some of my recipes it is only 4 hours on high, some are 6-8 hours on low. What are you cooking?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Depends on what it is.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If it's something already cooked and you just have to heat it through, it would most likely take 2-3 hours on high. If it's anything that needs to be cooked, you should look at the directions that came with the crock pot. Usually they have a guide to how long different proteins take to reach proper temperature.
    If all else fails, just use your meat thermometer every hour and a half or so. Stick it in the thickest part of the meat, but not on a bone.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Crockpots are wonderful time savers. If you're just warming something up, it may not be your best choice. Keeping something warm at a party they are perfect . Taking cheap cuts of meat and making them fall-aprt tender they are perfect. There are lots of good sites with crock pot recipes. There are groups here on CM too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• its those little sausages with bbq sauce. my aunt makes them and I wanted to make some but dont know how long to heat them for.
    prego_jessi

Comment by prego_jessi (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'd say on high for and hour then on low another 2 hours.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Are cooking on high or low? When I worked graveyard I would come home at 7am put meat in crock pot and set to low then get up at 4 turn it up to high add what ever veggies. Then it was ready when I got up at 7.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's really hard to mess up anything in the crock pot!! (: A thermometer is a good idea! Good luck!
    MamaHiD

Answer by MamaHiD at 2:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• For the smokies & sauce, an hour to two hours on high is sufficient - it kind of depends on the size & shape of the crock, and the amount you're putting in. But I've never had it take more than 2 hours to get them boiling. And since they're precooked you don't need to worry about cooking them for a certain length of time, just getting hot enough to eat.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2010