Has anyone ever heard of "unnutriental breastmilk"?

My son was born weighing in at 8lb. 11oz. After a bout with jaundice, his weight dropped to 7lb. 10oz. After supplementing in the hospital while we were trying to get the jaundice under control, he seemed to stop gaining weight on breastmilk alone. We supplemented every other feeding (after breastmilk) for 10 days and he gained 10oz. We went back to solely breastfeeding, but found out at his 2 month checkup that he had only gained 12oz., which put him at 9lb. 10oz. The doc reassured me he was fine and sent me home. I took him back to the doc yesterday concerned about constipation and he has gained NOTHING in the past (almost) month. The doc. is having me supplement after feeding at the breast for 6 days and then I have to take him back for a reweigh. He says that my "breastmilk may not be producing enough calories". Has anyone ever heard of this!!? It's gonna kill me to stop breastfeeding!! I need help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be looking for a new doc. BF babies CAN NOT be measured on the same growth curve as FF babies. Unless he is otherwise unhealthy, this may simply be his natural growth pattern...

Unless your Ped took YOUR BM, analyzed it, and found from scientific evaluation that you were incapable of producing enough calories, that is simply speculation. Like I said, seek other, second, third, fourth opinions.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• What were you doing when the baby was in hospital for jaundice? Were you pumping? Breastfeeding? I would continue to breast feed, regardless of what the doc says, but you may need to supplement. My son was in the hospital for a week after he was born. I pumped and breastfed when I could, but I wasn't convinced that I was producing enough, so, I think around 4 months I started suplementing/weaning. I stopped breastfeeding completely at 7months. Good luck. But as long as you are eating well and consuming enough calories, your breastmilk should be supplying nutrients just fine.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Ive heard it about moms that don't eat right and drink good fluids. But not from moms that are taking care of themselves. That's something new to me!
    MamaHiD

Answer by MamaHiD at 1:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• imo, you should eat well and drink enough water 2-3 liters a day, and offer your baby food whenever he is awake. look up the breastfeeding growth chart. dr's do not understand growth!!!
    like pp mentioned, this could be your child's growth pattern!
    i would not quit breastfeeding or even supplement, unless i saw failure to thrive. a decline in alertness,or not meeting milestones.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'd be firing that ped ASAP
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• make sure you are nursing long enough on each breast. Got to make sure he gets the hind mild, that is released after nursing for a few minutes.
    (found this online)
    Hind milk, is the milk that is behind the fore milk. It is fattier and more calorie dense milk. If you pump, you'll notice a two toned kind of milk with some of the milk being kind of translucent and some of the milk being a creamy white. That technically is the hind milk. If you're really into science, pump a bottle of milk and let it sit out on the counter for awhile. You'll see the milk separate into two distinctive layers. . .one being much fattier than the other.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• An Imbalance

As I mentioned before, most women don't have to worry about an imbalance of hind milk vs. fore milk. Your body just knows what to do and your baby regulates it. However, if you've ever taken your baby to the pediatrician and they've said the baby hasn't gained enough weight, it is possible that the issue is a hind milk/ fore milk imbalance. There are numerous reasons this happens but general scenarios include when the baby has to stay in the hospital and/or breastfeeding multiples.

Many women pump early on when their babies are born thinking that they want to build a freezer stash. Most of you who are around in the forums a lot have heard me say not to pump until at least six weeks. One reason is that pumping can 'teach' your breasts to make too much foremilk.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If you have an imbalance of hind milk/fore milk your baby will show the following symptoms
    :*watery, greenish seedy bowel movements *gassiness after feeding *general fussiness and not seeming satisfied at the breast (this is because in fact they're not. . .they're hungry.) *failure to gain weight properly

Correcting an Imbalance

To correct an imbalance the easiest thing to do is to only offer the same breast for an extended length of time. I would generally advise to start by offering one side for twelve hours and then the other side for twelve hours and see if the problem is corrected. If not, you might need to offer one side for 24 hours.

Relieve the other breast by hand expression. . .not by pumping, if possible. You should not let your other breast become painful. If it does, by all means, dig out that pump!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Lots of good answers and things to consider!! Thanks to all that took the time to answer.
    For those of you that asked, While he was in the hospital with Jaundice, I breastfed. They had me nurse him every 2 hours on 1 side and then give him as much formula as he wanted.
    One thing that I failed to mention was that when he was 7 weeks old, I had to go in for an appendecitmy (sp?). Of course, during surgery he had to have formula. After the surgery, I was told to pump and dispose of the breastmilk because they didn't want all the medication of the anethesia to go to the baby. After that, I went back to strictly breastfeeding. They actually let him come back to the hospital and stay with me the whole time so I could continue to breastfeed. The doc did tell me after surgery though that my appendix was gangrene and had already begun to leak. I've wondered if that would have had anything to do with a "lower calorie breastmilk"??
    mommyof2boys810

Answer by mommyof2boys810 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• MAMMATASHA1003...How would you suggest balancing out the fore/hindmilk? I think that the idea of my breastmilk having low calories is CRAZY!! I haven't been able to lose any weight, therefore I know I'm taking in A LOT of calories!!

It has been suggested to me that maybe my baby has an overactive thyroid? Actually have a friend who's baby had an overactive thyroid and it caused her to not gain weight. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
    mommyof2boys810

Answer by mommyof2boys810 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010