My daughter Kaitlyn she has curly hair that tangles all the time. When I brush it it hurts her so bad, I've tried everything. Hair detangler, expensive conditioners, hair cuts, etc. Have any ideas on what else I can do??

blueyze23

Asked by blueyze23 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 3 year old had loose curls and her get so tangled as well. I use kids detangler and it only helps a little. I will give my last bump for this lol. I need suggestions too.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Have you tried a different brush or different brands of detangler and/or conditioners? I don't know what else to tell you.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Have you tried going to a more upscale salon and getting their opinion? My DD, has thick, wavy hair that tangles like crazy. My stylist has me use an expensive leave in conditioner on her hair. I just spray it on her hair and leave it on a few minutes and then start working the tangles out.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• DO NOT brush curly hair unless it's wet and heavily lubricated with leave in conditoner or use a wide tooth comb. My daughter's hair is the same. We have to wet the hair, put detangler and leave in conditioner then comb it out. let it air dry.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If you will put your palm against the back of her head and brush the bottom part of her hair with a wide-toothed comb first and get out all those tangles, she shouldn't feel any pain because the hair won't be pulling at her scalp. Then, the tangles toward the top of her head usually aren't as bad as the tangles on the bottom half. I do this with my daughter and husband (very long hair), and it works very well to keep the pain away. Wish my mom would've known! I remember screaming every time she combed or brushed my hair.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh and are you doing the hold the hair in the hand then comb it out? It doesn't hurt them because you are holding the hair so the don't feel the tugging.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would suggest using a wide tooth comb & detangler. Now start off by dividing the hair in four inch sections.
    After you have divided the hair start in the back. Start combing hair from bottom than work your way up. Never start brushing and or combing from the top. Place your hand on her hair while combing to avoid pulling her hair. I hope this works for you. I have been a stylist for 22yrs. and this really helps with tangled hair.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My daughter is mixed half black and half latina i use sometimes this hair stuff called 'pink lotion' It really helps its in a pink botttle and help dramatically with kids that have curly hair, and work on any type of hair.
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I dont know if this will help but my dd has reallly long hair & Ive started braiding her hair alot. That seems to help & cut down on the knots. Use a wide comg & start from the bottom. idk of any good products though, also try brushing her hair multiple times a day & do what you can to prevent the knots.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• When she's in the shower or bath, coat her hair with conditioner (any kind), and use a wide-tooth comb to comb it all out. When it's completely untangled, carefully rinse her hair without messing it all up. After, when towel-drying, instead of "roughing up" to dry just use the towel to wipe down & squeeze the water out. Comb again, and put her hair in a braid or a bun or something. I have to do this with my oldest. No brushes, just wide-tooth combs, don't comb it terribly often. Also a good leave-in conditioner while it's still wet helps a lot.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010