can someone explain ...

exactly what is considered "middle class"??? if sarah palin refers to herself as an average middle class soccer mom one more time im going to either pull out her hair or mine. a tanning bed in your home office and frames for her eye glasses (excluding the lenses) for a mere $800.00 ????? I considered myself middle class....i think i sign up for food stamps tomorrow because i been kidding myself..lol lol lol

rag33

Asked by rag33 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a little confused about that as well. Granted, both Biden and her would be some our "poorest" V.P.'S in a long time, they are far from struggling. Mc Cain also said anyone making less than $500,000 is middle class, so that makes up piss poor!!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Middle class is more a state of mind than a dollar amount.
    Even if you use a dollar amount, it varies greatly form state to state - the middle class dollar range in California is far different than the same line in Mississippi. Even within a state, many people will not think they are "rich" when others in the same state think they are.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'm lower class =] I have WIC and food stamps and Medicaid and I'm not afraid to use them, dammit! xD

But yeah, Sarah Palin saying she and her husband had belonged to the middle class for a long time is bull.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I agree Im middle class and I cant afford to be a soccer mom, not because I dont use my money wisely, but because it just dosent stretch that far after gas, taxes food and clothes
    RJSMOMMA

Answer by RJSMOMMA at 1:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Explain to me how Sarah Palin and her family are middle class when TIME just reported their assets which shed a much different light on the subject. According to TIME, "Add up the couple's 2007 income and the estimated value of their property and investments and they appear to be worth at least $1.2 million." How is that middle class???
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 3:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Time also said, "The Palins' assets seem enviable: a half-million-dollar home on a lake with a float-plane at the dock, two vacation retreats, commercial-fishing rights worth an estimated $50,000 or more and an income last year of at least $230,000. That compares to a median income of $64,333 for Alaskans and $50,740 for Americans in 2007, according to the Census Bureau."

If that is middle class, I guess I will never be in the middle class!
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 3:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• To Kaycee Do you hearself??? A state of mind? i understand that medium income changes from state to state. But if you live in a state where you fall below the medium income are you supposed to move to another state or just change your state of mind?????? sounds like a sarah palin jibberish answer
    rag33

Answer by rag33 at 7:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I live on Long Island, NY and the Palins would be considered middle class. Between our house and our pensions we are worth about the same as them. Four years ago, when we were both working, our income was roughly the same as theirs. We do not consider ourselves rich, we live in a modest house, drive a 2005 Chevy Equinox, don't go on vacation much, if at all, and never go out to eat. And both of our kids are grown and out of the house. Middle class is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life according to where you live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2008