Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


Ok so i am married, but seperated. i am due dec. 14, and i do not want to give the baby to its father right away. when we together he did weed and popped pills and a liar and a theif. now he is saying that he doesn't do that. but anyways my question is do i have to give my baby to him right away or can i wait till he is a couple of months. please help

Answer Question

Asked by lilmom2b3 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (25)
  • why do u need to give him the baby at all? does he have total custody rights or anything? do u have other children? unless you are physically or mentally unable to take care of the baby i don't see why you'd have to give it to him at all... ???

    Answer by DreainCO at 1:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • You have no desire to keep the baby?

    Answer by EwansMommy at 2:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • give the baby to him? like forever or to hold and stuff?

    Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • Um I wouldn't be giving my baby to the daddy at all. He can have visitation but thats it.

    Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • like just visitation im not giving my baby up. and yes i have two other children that i have with me also

    Comment by lilmom2b3 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • you will have to check the parenting time guidelines for your state. Infants do not usually stay with the non-custodial parent over night or for long periods.

    Answer by JessieK79 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • This is a topic for a lawyer. As far as I know he has rights to the child just as you do. Not that he SHOULD have rights if he is incapable of taking care of the child or providing an unsafe environment.

    Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • I'm confused what you mean by give the baby to him? I wouldn't allow my child around any one who I thought was going to harm them, dad or not.

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • you dont have to do ANYTHING till there is a court order if you dont want to. make him have supervised visits if he wants to see the baby. there needs to be proof he has changed before being trusted with anewborn

    Answer by sati769leigh at 2:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • if your baby is breast fed and can't/ won't take a bottle, you wouldn't be able to give him the baby for very long amounts of time.

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.