What are the advantages and disadvantages of breast feeding?

firstimemom816

Asked by firstimemom816 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good: Its good for the baby, it costs nothing, it is easy - no bottles to clean up.

Bad: You 're the only one who can do it, and not everyone CAN do it.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Advantages are: healthy baby! Bonding, less chance of them developing asthma and acid reflux(which seem to be on the rise).

Disadvantages may be sore nipples, but they have these great soothie pads that help with that. Advantages seriously outway any disatvantages. Bottom line is Breast-feeding is the best thing you can do for your baby. I also breast-fed and gave my son formula, so I am definitely not saying there is anything wrong with formula feeding, but if you can breast-feed, definitely do it for as long as you can.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Advantages: You dont have to prepare bottles at 3 am. You are always prepared to feed. You have an AWESOME bond with baby(the first few weeks are hard, but then its great. I didnt want my son to stop nursing at the end) You might loose baby weigt faster. Baby gets all your antibodies

Disadvantages: I wasn't a good pumper so I had to do all the feedings(ended up suplamenting a little so I could sleep :) ). Sore nipples. For the fist couple months you literally feel like a glorified milk station. Might have to watch what you eat b/c of food babies sensitivity.

I would def do it again! The first few weeks(esp the first days) were SOOOOO hard. I almost gave up, but I am so glad i kept trying and saw the lacation consultant. I now have a happy, healthy 22 month old. BTW he nursed for 11 months.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Pros: No bottles, water or formula to carry. No bottles to clean. It is always ready when the baby is. The temp is always just right.No heating up the bottle. It's free. You always have it on you and no running to the store at 2 am for more. That's about all I can think of right now LOL.. I loved BFing, I thought it was very easy and night feedings were a breeze.

Cons: Leaking, needing breast pads, the soreness in the beginning, oh and the engorgement in the beginning too.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, the obvious pro, is... It's free. You don't have to worry about buying bottles, nipples, formula or keeping up with the extra dishes and stuff to pack. It's 100% healthier for the baby. Each time your child nurses your body diagnoses what vitamins and nutrients your baby needs and adds it to the milk for the next feeding.

Cons would be... your friends and family, sitters and DH can't nurse, so it's all your job! And formula is full of artificial chemicals and whatnot... Plus, bottles, nipples, extra cleaning and stuff to pack and it's very costly!

In the end though, what it comes down to is doing what is best for you, your baby and your family... Both options have good and bad points... I'm personally a fan of doing both.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my favorite advantage to breastfeeding is the comfort factor. it is soothing and comforting to your baby, so it is easier to get through teething pains! it gives a mom a better way to help a baby through a cold too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Pros: Helps u heal faster after giving birth. Is cheap, easy and ready-made for your child! Provides bonding opportunities. The low-cost alone would be worth it cause formula and everything you'd need for formula feeding is expensive!
    Cons: CAN be painful if you're not careful and take care of yourself, drink LOTS of water, use lanolin on your nipples, eat healthy, etc... You being the only one who can feed your child is rough especially if you need a break but there are always pumps and bottles too. My oldest was BF and i pumped so DH could feed her while i was in class or at work, it was great cause she wasn't always attached to my boob but she still got the best food possible :) The leaking sucks too but that's what breast pads are for :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Biggest negative: when you are in a friends wedding and the dress is SO tight that you have to have someone else zip you up - all day long, whenever baby needs nursed someone has to come with you to undress you and dress you back up again! LOL!! Seriously though, the disadvantages are random and small - true you are the only one who can feed the baby in the middle of the night, but you can take the baby to your bed and barely even wake up! Chances are if you were bottle feeding you would still be doing the majority of the feedings! Sore nipples or clogged milk ducts are painful - but it is only for a short time.

The advantages are SO many: like others mentioned. I LOVE always having food for the baby, it is no work or preparation, baby gets the very best stuff possible (scientists are still discovering all the benefits. I remember reading a year ago they have discovered stem cells in breast milk!!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Pro- It is free.
    It is irreplaceable, nothing else in nature or man made can come close to comparing.
    It gives immunity to many diseases and viruses.
    It decreases the chances of developing breast cancer for BOTH mother and nursling daughter.
    It aides in recovery from child birth.
    It helps prevent PPD.
    Prevents SIDS.
    Prevents common food allergies.
    Aides in neuro-development.
    Aligns jaws properly (later aiding in speech development), and also prevents tooth decay (it is IMPOSSIBLE for BM to pool while actively nursing).
    Makes possible for mother and infant to rest simultaneously.
    Does not require any preparation, can be done anywhere, any time, and never runs out.
    Aides in the development of intestinal flora (which formula DESTROYS).

Con- Only MOM can do it. People mistreat nursing couples. Some women can not pump- which makes getting alone time harder.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• PROS: you dont have to get up at 3am to make a bottle (you have the milk right there), You dont need to warm up your milk, you dont have to pack formula and bottles in your diaper bag, you dont have to worry about running out of breastmilk and haveing to run to hte stor e to get more, breastfed babies get sick lesser then formula fed babies, some ppl say breastfed babies learn quicker.

CONS: Your the only one who can feed your baby, breastfed babies are harder to wean then formula fed babies, when your not at home and it gets to feeding time you might have to pull ove r to feed your baby if you dont pump or have to listen to them scream ( or like me lean over and nurse them while their still in the carseat, other drivers will look at you like your crazy), breastfed babies are more clingy and its harder to get house work done with your baby on your hip 24/7, but it can be done!
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010