How far ahead of time do you plan dinner?

It seems like every morning I see the "What's for dinner" question on here and I'm always shocked to see answers at like 10 am... I can't imagine trying to decide on dinner before breakfast! If dinner is at 7, I decide what we are having at ohh... 6:30... But apparently I'm alone in that... So when do you plan dinner?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• When I do my shopping I'll plan 4 or 5 things to make but dont pick one until the night before (after that nights dinner) so I can pull the meat out and defrost.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 2:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Depends. Sometimes in the morning if it involves prep-work, or something needs to be thawed, but usually at 5PM when I need to get cooking to have it on the table at 6PM :)
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If I bought all the ingredients for something super good, I'll plan it ahead of time, otherwise it's usually more spur of the moment.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It depends. Sometimes I'll know the day before what we'll be having on that particular night what we'll be having, other times I decide 20 minutes before we eat.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I usually know what the weeks meals are but not always certain that morning what I'm in the mood to cook. It depends on how lazy I am and what I crave and eat for lunch. Also depends if they kids request a certain meal, I try to oblige.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I normally plan for at least 2 meals a week and what nights we're going to have them when I do my grocery shopping. The other nights I figure it out right after lunch or breakfast (depending on if I need to defrost the meat). There are times though that I'll be busy all day and decide right at dinner time.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I read the whats for dinner question to get ideas for other days, or inspiration for that day! But I know what I have, so I usually try to figure a weeks meals out in my head, knowing what I need to use up, and stuff. But I don't know till the actual morning of what we are having I like to know before 11 am or earlier if I have a big piece of meat to thaw. I know before I started meal planing we wasted lots of money on eating out because I didn't know what to make and did thaw things out.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sometimes not til everybody's hungry, sometimes I'll plan a week in advance. Because of DH's schedule for the next few days, I'm having to plan lunch instead, as he's home for lunch but not supper. I had some stuff I needed to get used up, so yesterday I had DH pick up an ingredient I was missing, today I'm making homemade spaghetti sauce, and tomorrow for lunch we'll have spaghetti - so I planned that a little better. But last night for the kids I didn't plan anything til half an hour before I wanted to feed them. If we want to have chicken, or roast, or homemade soup, most of those things I have to decide at least a day ahead of time.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i plan weekly for meals
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 4:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I plan meals for a month ahead of time. I love the freedom of not having to think and agonize over what to have for dinner every night. If meat need to defrost or something needs prepping ahead of time, I am aware of it and can take care of in time. My family enjoys it too and I don't get the same question 100 times a day of "What's for dinner?" They just have to look at the meal plan that's posted on the fridge.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2010